Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
Our Digital Evidence Management System (DEMS) team is solving difficult cloud and local storage challenges. Axon manages massive amounts of digital files – tens of petabytes from thousands of first responders worldwide. The DEMS team works on improving workflows for the ingestion, playback, management & access control, searching, and sharing of case related files, increasing efficiency within the justice system. If you’re looking for ownership and autonomy while collaborating across product teams, this role is for you.
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoid red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks. We focus on productivity, and try to avoid having senseless meetings or processes, while we emphasize planning to keep our work-life balance healthy and sustainable.
We can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of first responders and their role in society.
What You’ll Do
Location: Remotely from United States OR Onsite at our Seattle, WA office
Reports to: Senior Product Design Manager of Axon Evidence
Direct Reports: None
- Own the search and filtering experience across the DEMS organization and lead our cross product strategy for Axon-wide search methods and workflows. Other areas of responsibility will include permissions, licensing, and access control.
- You’ll have ownership of the full design process, from partnering with product managers on initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed design, testing, and ongoing design iteration.
- Collaborate with product managers and researchers in field research with domestic and overseas law enforcement agencies and help transform that research into practical, scalable solutions using a variety of research methods: observational, interviews, participatory, usability testing, competitive analysis, etc.
- Produce artifacts that define and communicate your solutions. It will be up to you, but we generally use a combination of journey maps, architecture diagrams, wireframes, final designs, interaction diagrams, and prototypes.
- Communicate your solutions within the team and across the organization to gain buy-in and support through building alignment and articulating your vision through strong storytelling and presentations skills. You will present product and feature design proposals up to the executive level.
- Collaborate with feature and product teams to think in terms of broad platform and systems strategy to ensure consistent user experiences for our customers across all products.
- Work closely with business, product and engineering stakeholders.
- Research design trends, customer behavior, competition and current technologies to inform the work you are doing.
- Contribute to defining global design patterns, vision, and processes for Axon products.
- Be an ambassador, mentor other designers and champion for the design culture at Axon.
What You Bring
- 8+ years of product design experience with 2+ years of leading major product design initiatives in medium to high complexity.
- 4+ years experience researching, designing and shipping complete web applications with a moderate to high level of complexity (enterprise or complex consumer workflows rather than simple consumer flows).
- A degree in HCI, Human Factors, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, or other related field. A Master’s degree is considered a plus.
- Strong conceptual & visual design skills and proven ability in rapidly prototyping and designing to communicate ideas to others.
- You have a proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development. You have extensive experience with every stage of the design process, including: sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- You enjoy collaborating on early product definition as much as you enjoy working with the larger product and engineering teams on implementation.
- You have experience with designing for multiple form factors (web, mobile, on-device) and modalities (touch, voice, keyboard/mouse).
- You excel in written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly explain your ideas and decisions in a way that anyone can understand.
- You are highly knowledgeable of the latest design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones. We currently use Figma for our Product Design work and to house our Design System, but are always evaluating new tools.
- You are able to function both independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- You have a great portfolio showing both design and research work available for review.
Benefits that Benefit You
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Paid parental leave for all
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- Fitness Programs
- Emotional & Mental Wellness support
- Learning & Development programs
- And yes, we have snacks in our offices
The Pay: Axon is a total compensation company, meaning compensation is made up of base pay, bonus, and stock awards. The starting base pay for this role is between USD 130,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 200,000,000 in the highest geographic market. The on target earnings range for this role is between USD 220,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 320,000 in the highest geographic market. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: level, function, training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, geographic market, and often a combination of all these factors. Our benefits offer an array of options to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. To see more details on our benefits offerings please visit www.axon.com/careers/benefits (http://www.axon.com/careers/benefits).
Don’t meet every single requirement? That’s ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.
Axon’s mission is to Protect Life and is committed to the well-being and safety of its employees as well as Axon’s impact on the environment. All Axon employees must be aware of and committed to the appropriate environmental, health, and safety regulations, policies, and procedures. Axon employees are empowered to report safety concerns as they arise and activities potentially impacting the environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email [email protected]. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.