Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations™ Cloud, which is a platform that enables organizations that depend on physical operations to harness Internet of Things (IoT) data to develop actionable insights and improve their operations. At Samsara, we are helping improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of the physical operations that power our global economy. Representing more than 40% of global GDP, these industries are the infrastructure of our planet, including agriculture, construction, field services, transportation, and manufacturing — and we are excited to help digitally transform their operations at scale.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including Video-Based Safety, Vehicle Telematics, Apps and Driver Workflows, Equipment Monitoring, and Site Visibility. As part of a recently public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Great Place To Work Certified™ 2023
Best Place to Work by Built In 2023
Financial Times The Americas’ Fastest Growing Companies 2023
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
We see a profound opportunity for data to improve the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of operations, and hope you consider joining us on this exciting journey.
About the role:
Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling a business. Samsara is looking to grow its Policy and Government Relations team by adding an agile and capable policy manager. Our team works closely with trade associations, policymakers, regulatory agencies, and industry experts to proactively engage in initiatives that advance Samsara’s business interests at the national, state and local levels. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of the engineering, product, strategy, legal and partnerships teams. The ideal candidate will enjoy serving as a key contributor on a diverse range of substantive advocacy initiatives, aid in developing creative strategies to further Samsara’s short and long-term business goals, and help build out and manage organizational processes and procedures.
Samsara values collaborative individuals who excel in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, can work across multiple teams and on multiple projects, can take in many inputs and communicate practical advice, have great interpersonal skills, and are comfortable in stressful situations.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, reduce emissions, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You’re energized by our opportunity: The vision we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by a high-caliber team that will encourage you to do your best.
Click here to learn more about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with other Samsarians to articulate a vision for the value of Samsara’s products and services, its role in the industry, and the public policies needed to support these priorities that are compelling to relevant policymakers
- Help develop and execute policy strategies that advance Samsara’s business goals
- Identify proposed bills, regulations, and policy positions that are relevant to Samsara; identify their impact to the organization along with relevant business units and senior management; and develop a responsive strategy
- Build and maintain strong relationships with relevant policymakers, regulatory officials and other key external stakeholders, and track level of engagement
- Develop and deploy subject matter expertise in key policy areas
- Assist with filings, comments, and input for legislative committees and regulatory bodies
- Work closely with public sector and sales teams at the local, state, and federal level to affect adoption and usage of Samsara’s technology
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Bachelor’s degree required, postgraduate degree in a relevant field preferred
- At least 6 years of relevant public policy, political, and/or government experience and in-depth understanding of federal, state or local policymaking process and government relations
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with legislative and government advocacy (e.g., legislative wins, relationships with officials, involvement with third parties, etc.)
- Skilled at persuasively and diplomatically advocating complex policy positions before a wide variety of audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to concisely summarize policy issues and advocacy points
- Experience managing multiple high-priority projects simultaneously in a fast-moving, quickly changing environment, both collaborating as a team and working solo
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous work environment and spearhead change laterally across organizations using influencing skills
- Teammate with a strong willingness to pitch in as necessary
- Highly organized, flexible, and detailed-oriented
An ideal candidate also has:
- Passion for and knowledge of emerging technology and related public policy
- Experience working in-house on regulatory issues facing highly-regulated industries
- Knowledge and experience with privacy, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and other public policy issues related to data-driven industries
- Knowledge of future of work, labor, and workforce development policy issues
- Willingness to address unexpected challenges in new areas and get up to speed on potentially unfamiliar subject matter
Samsara’s Compensation Philosophy: Samsara’s compensation program is designed to deliver total compensation (based on role, level, and geography) that is above market. We do this through our base salary + bonus/variable + restricted stock unit awards (RSUs). A new hire RSU award is awarded at the time of hire, and additional RSU refresh grants may be awarded annually.
We pay for performance, and top performers are eligible to receive above target equity refresh awards which allow employees to achieve higher market positioning.
The range of annual base salary for full-time employees for this position is below. Please note that base pay offered may vary depending on factors including your city of residence, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email [email protected] or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.