Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
To fight the war on cancer, Freenome has raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including a16z, GV (formerly Google Ventures), T. Rowe Price, BainCapital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.Are you ready for the fight? A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients’ lives, who thrive in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career. Freenomers are determined, patient-centric, and outcomes-driven. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. We are dedicated to advancing healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
Freenome is looking for an Associate Data Scientist who will be responsible for building data-driven solutions to challenges in multi-omic biomarker discovery projects. In this role, you will work closely with Data Scientists, Computational Biologists, Software engineers and Molecular Research Scientists to maintain data integrity and support R&D data management to make R&D digital assets findable, accessible, interoperable and reusable (FAIR). You will be responsible for improving and maintaining data pipelines that are critical for clinical lab operation and preanalytical data processing. You will also be responsible for building reports to help scientists to understand experimental data and to gain insights into our biospecimen inventory.
What you’ll do:
- Explore and extract insights from structured and unstructured data collected during preanalytical steps to improve sample handling practices.
- Improve and maintain data pipelines to process preanalytical and clinical data for machine learning applications.
- Improve and maintain the sample selection/grouping pipeline to Identify and model patient metadata, with applications in biomarker study design and execution.
- Create dashboards and presentations to effectively communicate detailed findings to diverse audiences.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in a relevant, quantitative field such as life science, applied math, statistics, or data science with at least 1 year of industry experience. Life science background strongly preferred.
- Strong technical abilities in relational database, database queries (i.e., SQL), data segmentation techniques, and applying ETL frameworks.
- Ability to program in a scientific programming language (e.g., Python), work in a Linux server-based environment, and perform appropriate statistical analyses.
- A passion for innovation and tackling new areas of research.
- Proficiency in office tools such as google sheets and google doc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with git version control.
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau or google data studio.
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $97,750 - $150,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.