Our computer vision team is a leader in the creation of cutting-edge algorithms and software for automated image and video analysis. Our solutions embrace deep learning and add measurable value to government agencies, commercial organizations, and academic institutions worldwide. We understand the difficulties in extracting, interpreting, and utilizing information across images, video, metadata, and text, and we recognize the need for robust, affordable solutions. We seek to advance the fields of computer vision and deep learning through research and development and through collaborative projects that build on our open source software platforms, such as VIAME
About the Projects:
NLP and Computer Vision research is increasingly interrelated, with common computational approaches and the increasing availability of text + image/video benchmarks. Likewise, multi-modal domains such as social media and news stories are of increasing interest for applications such as disinformation detection, attribution, and characterization. In addition to this, projects at Kitware require understanding written instructions, including natural language rules.
Kitware’s employees have unique opportunities to interact and collaborate directly with customers, visit interesting customer sites, and participate in live field tests and demonstrations. Much of Kitware’s work involves applying state-of-the-art artificial intelligence approaches to dynamic, real-world problems. In this case, you will have the opportunity to contribute your skills to projects focused on national security, making a difference on a daily basis to protect our country. Research and Development Engineers at Kitware also enjoy benefits commonly associated with a position in academia, such as support and encouragement for the publication of novel work.
We partner with premier government R&D agencies such as DARPA, IARPA, AFRL, NVESD, NOAA, ONR, other branches of the US military, and multiple members of the Intelligence Community on a range of efforts including prime contracts, SBIRs, and STTRs. In addition, we provide commercial services to companies ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies. Kitware employs an open source business model to foster extended, collaborative communities, and to provide flexible, high-quality technical solutions. If you’ve used CMake, ITK, or VTK, you know our work and the impact it has on the communities we help build.
In This Position You Will:
- Bring your technical expertise and project management skills to lead small teams of researchers and engineers on advanced R&D projects funded by government and commercial customers.
- Collaborate with external, well-known academic and industry researchers in Natural Language Processing, ML, AI, and computer vision.
- Lead proposals for new funding from government R&D organizations and/or commercial companies.
- Develop and evaluate algorithms to understand the textual content of textual and multi-modal data, and/or perform reasoning on extracted data.
- Enjoy support and encouragement for participation in national and international NLP, machine learning, AI, and/or computer vision conferences.
- PhD in Computer Science or related field with a minimum of 6 years relevant experience and/or a Master’s degree with 8 years experience.
- Strong publication history in NLP (ACL, EMNLP, NAACL) conferences, or other AI venues incorporating NLP (AAAI, ICML, ICLR, NeurIPS). Candidates should include a detailed list of publications as part of their resume/CV.
- Experience collaborating successfully with others and thriving in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Experience leading federal and/or commercial business development activities and winning R&D funding.
- Experience developing and nurturing project teams, building an environment of collaboration.
- Excellent project management skills with demonstrable efforts leading and delivering complex research projects on time, within budget, and with a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Experience in supervising and reviewing research and software developed by others.
- Experience designing and implementing complex software systems.
- Due to contractual restrictions, only US Citizens will be considered for this position
- If not already cleared TS/SCI, willingness and ability to apply for and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance
- Experience with natural language text generation using one or more of GPT-2, BERT, or Grover.
- Past work applying NLP to textual instructions and/or rules.
Kitware is a research and development software solutions provider with a mission to advance science, make a positive impact, and share our results all within a collaborative, employee-focused work environment that is friendly, fair, and flexible. Our work is improving healthcare outcomes, increasing national security, and advancing our national computing infrastructure. Our customers and collaborators include top universities from around the world, government organizations, national research labs, medical device manufacturers, car manufacturers, financial institutions, and many others.
Kitware is proud to be 100% employee-owned, and Great Place to Work-Certified™.
Our team members enjoy a small company environment, flexibility in work assignments, and high levels of independence and responsibility. Besides a great work environment, our comprehensive benefits package includes a competitive compensation plan, tuition reimbursement program, flexible working hours, six weeks paid time off, 401(k), health insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, bonus plan, and free coffee, drinks, and snacks.
Kitware actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, protected veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
To be in compliance with the requirements for federal government contractors, all Kitware new hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date. Kitware will consider exceptions for religious and medical reasons, where appropriate. “Fully vaccinated” means you must have both doses of a 2-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the second dose, or have received 1 dose of a 1-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the dose. Proof of your vaccination status in the form of a copy of a CDC vaccine card, or notice of approval of a religious or medical exemption by Kitware human resources, must be submitted prior to your start date.
Any unsolicited resume sent to Kitware, including to Kitware’s mailing addresses, fax machines or email addresses, whether directly to Kitware employees or to Kitware’s applicant tracking system, will be considered Kitware property. Kitware will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume, and will consider any candidate submitted by a recruitment agency without a fully executed contract with Kitware to have been referred free of any charges or fees.
If you need assistance with applying or interviewing for a role due to a disability or special need, please reach out directly to our HR team at [email protected]
at any time during the hiring process.