This position is open to remote within the US or onsite at our headquarters in South San Francisco.
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
To fight the war on cancer, Freenome has raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including a16z, GV (formerly Google Ventures), T. Rowe Price, BainCapital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
Are you ready for the fight? A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients’ lives, who thrive in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career. Freenomers are determined, patient-centric, and outcomes-driven. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. We are dedicated to advancing healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
The Analysis Pipeline team within the Engineering organization is seeking an experienced backend engineer to help design, build and maintain automated computational pipelines to process a significant amount of data that comes from our lab and instrumentation. The ideal candidate has the ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of the day-to-day work. You will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists building end-to-end solutions for both production and R&D needs. You are passionate about software development best practices, and you will have a significant impact on the continued growth of a high profile technology organization that is changing the landscape on early cancer detection.
We use Python3, Django, Kubernetes, Docker, Prometheus, Flyte, and a number of open-source software tools in the process.
This role reports to our engineering management team.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop, and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that power both our internal and external systems
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Work with scientists, designers, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of lots of dynamism and uncertainty
- Guide and champion engineering best practices and culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, and/or work experience
- 3+ years of experienceas a part of a software development team successfully shipping a software product
- Experience with Python3 in a team production environment
- Experience with distributed or cloud computing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
Nice to haves:
- Domain-specific experience in computational biology, genomics, or a related field
- Expertise in developing ETL/data pipelines that run at scale, utilizing common workflow management systems (Flyte, Airflow, or similar)
- Experience with Django web framework
- Experience in Kubernetes, Docker, PostgreSQL, AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Understanding of, and practical experience with, statistical and machine learning methods
- Direct experience with clinical interoperability standards such as FHIR, IHE ITI Profiles or HL7v2
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary/hourly rate for new hires is $127,500 - $195,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.