Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
With so many people using our products globally, we’ve become well-known for products that “just work” right out of the box That doesn’t happen by accident, which is why we are committed to making sure our products aren’t just intuitive, they’re obvious. To support that commitment, the Roku Developer Platform team focuses on building the best… Our goal is to help people find what they want and make it easier for people to stream. We accomplish this using state-of-the-art technology and engineering to make it happen, with consideration for the customer as the center of all that we do.
We are looking for an experienced embedded systems engineer to join our Roku Developer Platform team. The Developer Platform team builds tools and embedded features to help partners develop, performance tune and debug their channel apps efficiently. This position is responsible for developing high-performance, portable, and modular code to efficiently deploy on many different types of devices and system architectures. The role requires expertise in API design, system architecture, portability, OS internals and writing high performance, portable C code in a device independent manner. Familiarity with building embedded features for debuggers, memory profiling tools, etc. is desirable.
You will be joining a talented, high-performance team with a history of delivery. We are looking for someone who can help us keep up this pace and continue delivering high quality as we grow.
For California Only - The estimated annual salary for this position is between $162,000 and $552,000 annually.
Compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, certifications, and specific geographical location.
This role is eligible for health insurance, equity awards, life insurance, disability benefits, parental leave, wellness benefits, and paid time off.
What you’ll be doing
- Design and develop OS features that are fast, efficient and maximize platform flexibility
- Implement new debugger enhancements for Brightscript
- Add system and memory profiling features to help build more efficient apps
- Write great APIs and modular code that grows with our platform
- Implement features with the abstractions necessary to run on a variety of hardware
- Design for performance and ensure that your code is fast and resource efficient
We’re excited if you have
- 10+ years of experience developing Linux based consumer electronic products
- Excellent C and C++ programming skills
- Experience in API design and developing portable code
- Proven track record of success with embedded Linux development projects
- Broad understanding of Internet performance characteristics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- the ability & hunger to dig-deep to find solutions to new and challenging problems
- Experience in embedded or other memory and CPU constrained environments
- A deep understanding of multi-threaded development and concurrency management
- Experience in optimizing performance on systems with limited resources.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science
- Networking/Wi-Fi, audio/video streaming, embedded graphics, and I/O
- Linux and other embedded RTOS environments
- Multi-process and IPC
- Internet networking protocols (TCP/UDP/IP)
- User interface development and frameworks
- Security (especially hosting and execution of untrusted code within VMs)
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company’s success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you’ll be part of a company that’s changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn’t real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we’ve grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.