Yellowbrick Data is a modern cloud Data Warehouse start-up headquartered in Silicon Valley. We are a flexible multi-cloud solution, winning customers with our incredible speed and controllable costs. Our technology is used by the world’s largest insurers, credit card companies, telcos and healthcare firms, all of whom depend on our products to make critical decisions quickly without compromising the security of their data. Yellowbrick is well- funded with $248m raised from top-tier venture firms.
At Yellowbrick, we’re building the world’s most advanced, parallel, scale-out elastic cloud data warehouse. It is in business-critical use at dozens of large enterprise customers who depend on it for their operations. It runs in public clouds and on-premises. Our software scales out to hundreds of nodes on multiple clusters. It’s a complex software stack, highly available, supports replication for disaster recovery, and shouldn’t go down. Our R&D team solves the hardest computer science problems at all levels of the stack. What we do isn’t easy: We design hardware, build an SQL UI for Kubernetes, build an operating system, have created an entire enterprise-grade database from scratch with remote support capability, and actively build and maintain business continuity functions and a growing set of ecosystem integrations.
We are looking for a highly motivated and driven engineer to join our quality team, finding new ways to break our product end-to-end, modelling customer workloads, qualifying releases and creating new scenarios that take the entire stack and permutation volume into consideration.
You’re an individual that takes pleasure in looking at the solutions holistically. Where others see software that seems to work well, you imagine all the holes and are passionate about finding them. You think about the use cases and patterns of customers and ensure the entire experience not only functions as expected but is resilient to deviation.
You love automation of everything, appreciate randomness, and are comfortable in taking a white-box, black-box, and grey-box approach to end-to-end systems testing. You’re familiar with asynchronous, reactive programming and understand how to poke holes in a software stack. You’re good at SQL and understand the basics of database architecture. You love containers and Kubernetes and are comfortable building automation that makes the best use of these technologies. Endless curiosity means that, whenever a customer encounters an issuein the field, you ask yourself “how come we didn’t find that?”
- Review functional/unit coverage and identify the gaps in the full system plan
- Develop new and exotic test cases to break our software stack from start to finish
- Understand how different workloads, data sets, and use cases change the test scope and focus of the validation
- Monitor and document client load impacts new software versions
- Automate the cases defined and be responsible for the maintenance and evolution of the use cases as new capability is introduced in the product
- 2-5 years of experience testing complex software stacks
- Strong knowledge of and experience with automation tools
- Strong scripting skills in python or other high-level languages
- Strong debug and analysis skills of failures and failures patterns
- Strong correlation skills with failure patterns and existing validation capabilities
- Good working knowledge of cloud monitoring
- Good working knowledge of chaos injection
- Good working knowledge of SQL
- Good communication skills
- Fundamentals – as many of these as possible:
- Black and white-box testing experience
- Networking – error injection, benchmarking and monitoring, TCP and/or RDMA
- Experience testing concurrent and distributed systems
- Experience testing highly available software stacks
- Understanding of transactional databases
- Authentication protocols and APIs
- Observability – monitoring, logging, tracing stacks
- Basic database operations – load, unload, backup and restore
- Experience with data generation tools
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. Come advance with us! In keeping with our values, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Yellowbrick Data also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our organization. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Yellowbrick Data.
To all recruitment agencies: Yellowbrick Data does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Yellowbrick Data employees or any other organization location. Yellowbrick Data is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.