At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to combat neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team is solely focused on developing treatments for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and clinicians, leading healthcare investors, and pharma company partners who share in our commitment to bettering the lives of patients.
As a research manager in the In vivo Pharmacology team, you’ll work closely with scientists in research and development, supporting ongoing programs at the early discovery phase. Your contribution will be crucial for the generation of an innovative therapeutic approach targeting myeloid cells in neurodegenerative disease. You will be involved across a variety of projects in work central to Alector’s strategic mission. While applying your existing skills, you will also expand your expertise to new technologies and play a key role in the pre-clinical development of our programs. As a new hire, you will help grow the company, guide its direction, and, above all, bolster Alector’s culture of thinking independently and working on teams.
During your first year, your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Work with Research teams and outside collaborators to identify and obtain animal models, or with geneticists in creating animal models of human disease
- Coordinate with internal research teams to provide timelines and resource availability projections in support of early-stage research and non-clinical activities
- Collaborate with various internal legal and business groups to establish contracts and ensure payments
- Coordinate and lead vivarium operations including people management (lab technicians), administrative support, animal husbandry, and technical support for research activities
- Develop and maintain vivarium SOPs, policies, and guidelines in compliance with animal care and use protocol, and IACUC guidance
- Lead and/or support the execution of in-house studies. Proficient in small animal handling and dosing of test agents via various routes (IV, SC, IP PO) and other CNS delivery routes
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- B.A. with 5-10 years of scientific experience in the biopharmaceutical industry. Degree in Pharmacology, Immunology, Neuroscience, or a related field. MS or Ph.D. preferred
- Experience running a research animal facility
- Track record of managing, developing, and mentoring junior research technicians
- Experience in the management and tracking of rodent colonies
- Experience in the design and production of mutant mouse models of human disease
- Hands-on experience in handling, dosing, blood sampling, and tissue harvest in rodents is a plus
- Ability to easily work on several projects simultaneously
Alector is a phenomenal place to learn and grow. Alector is a dynamic environment where teams are encouraged to experiment, take ownership of decisions, and question convention to solve complex problems. At Alector, we value shared wins, perseverance, and a growth mindset.
Alector was named on Fortune’s "Best Workplaces in Biopharma
" top list for small and medium-sized companies for the second year! And we moved up from #16 to #11 in 2022.
Among the things you’ll discover at Alector on Day 1 and throughout your tenure: Committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, brand-new brightly lit offices in Oyster Point, right at the heart of Biotech Bay. Alector offers flexible remote work options, and competitive compensation and benefits. Come join us!
At Alector, we believe that hard-working teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.