Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Your Impact on our Mission:
As the Engineering Manager for the Site Reliability Engineering team, you’ll work closely with our Product Engineering teams on infrastructure initiatives that will allow us to build a better health care experience. Your leadership of our software team will result in us shipping quickly with the right amount of investment in infrastructure, bettering our product and improving the lives of millions of patients. Your dedication to building a culture of transparency, inclusion, and support will help ensure that our engineering is always evolving and growing. Your ability to combine technical capabilities, digging into details to unblock teams and steer through complex engineering tradeoffs, with business knowledge and context is crucial for the success of Zocdoc. This position can be located in NYC, or fully remote.
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Passionate about combining software and systems engineering to develop infrastructure that maximizes uptime and availability
- Motivated by constantly working to improve the health and reliability of our cloud infrastructure.
- A strong collaborator who enjoys being the bridge between engineering, product, and internal stakeholders.
- A leader who enjoys inspiring, supporting and influencing their teams to do their best work.
- Excited about building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Analytical, data-driven, and pragmatic in your decision making.
Your day to day is…
- Leading, managing, and growing a team of highly technical Site Reliability Engineers iterating in our cloud environment to deliver a highly reliable, performant, and best-in-class experience for our patients and providers.
- Partnering with Product and Product Engineering teams to research and prioritize road maps and set a technical direction for the future of Zocdoc’s technology infrastructure.
- Working across the organization on Engineering Culture, helping to build career ladders, steer cross-team events, and help build an inclusive technology workforce.
- Making sure we are building out the platform’s capabilities with attention to scale and speed, with a strong hand in architecture.
- Mentoring and coaching a team of engineers to deliver outstanding improvements in uptime, performance, and reliability.
You’ll be successful in this role if you have…
- 5+ years of software and/or systems engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience leading, growing, and inspiring engineering teams (site reliability engineering teams preferred)
- Experience working with compliance and regulatory requirements (e.g. SOC 2, Hitrust, HIPAA)
- Experience architecting and developing scalable web applications
- Experience working with microservice architectures and AWS / cloud environment
- Solid communication skills with the ability to influence key stakeholders and build consensus with engineers at all levels
- Flexible, hybrid work environment
- Unlimited PTO
- 100% paid employee health benefit options
- Employer funded 401(k) match
- L&D offerings + a free LinkedIn learning account
- Corporate wellness programs with Headspace and Peloton
- Sabbatical leave (for employees with 5+ years of service)
- Competitive parental leave
- Cell phone reimbursement
- In office perks including:
- Catered lunch everyday along with snacks
- Commuter Benefits
- Convenient Soho location
Zocdoc is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. Salary ranges are determined through alignment with market data. Base salary offered is determined by a number of factors including the candidate’s experience, qualifications, and skills. Certain positions are also eligible for variable pay and/or equity; your recruiter will discuss the full compensation package details.
Remote Base Salary Range
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice