At Adaptive, we’re Powering the Age of Immune Medicine. Our goal is to harness the power of the adaptive immune system to transform the way diseases are diagnosed and treated.
As an Adapter, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives. With Adaptive, you’ll create a career highlight through collaboration with bright, curious colleagues working at the apex of innovation and application.
It’s time for your next chapter. Discover your story with Adaptive.
The Senior Clinical Laboratory Technologist position will be responsible for processing medically relevant biological samples through extraction and/or high throughput DNA sequencing assays. This role will work within a team of Laboratorians in a fast-paced, high production setting to process research and clinical diagnostic samples to provide test results to patients, oncologists and other medical practitioners and researchers. As such, high attention to detail and clinical mindedness are crucial to success in this role.
In certain circumstances, this role may perform certain supervisory tasks when specifically requested by a Laboratory General Supervisor or Clinical Laboratory Director.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Independently performs and provides high-level support for DNA extractions, PCR amplification or high-throughput sequencing assays on DNA libraries in accordance with standard laboratory processes and procedures.
- Performs training and competency assessments for Clinical Laboratory Technician/Technologist team members on high complexity molecular methods and assists junior roles in developing their training skills.
- Evaluates existing laboratory procedures and processes; develops and implements updates, changes, and new processes to improve efficiency and results.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment such as liquid handling robotics and DNA sequencers.
- Takes on additional ancillary responsibilities and suggests actions to more junior staff during down-time.
- Independently completes tasks as assigned (e.g. routine clinical or research sample processing, validations, reagent QC runs, or special projects) accurately and following strict methodologies.
- Provides advice and guidance to less-experienced staff.
- Works on problems of moderate complexity that may require analysis of situations or data.
- Gathers and analyzes data and information to identify and solve complex problems that arise with little or no precedent.
- Works on assignments requiring considerable clinical judgement and initiative.
- Understands implications of their work performance and when to escalate issues upward.
- Ensures compliance with lab regulatory agencies (GxP, FDA, ISO).
- Keeps accurate and detailed records for all workflows following Good Documentation Practices.
Knowledge/Level of Expertise
- Demonstrates excellent clinical judgement and integrity by possessing deep knowledge/skills in a range of laboratory procedures and processes.
- Explains technical information within the team clearly and effectively.
- Independently applies understanding of underlying scientific principles of analytical methods and provides relevant information to Supervisor or Lead Technologist to assist with troubleshooting assay or instrument issues leading to appropriate corrective actions.
- Evaluates and communicates technical content in a clear manner to Supervisor or Lead Technologist.
- Handles sensitive information confidentially.
Interactions, Supervision and Discretion
- Lead by example and model appropriate cultural and professional behavior.
- Exercises wide discretion with the appropriate manager oversight.
- Exhibit clear and effective communication to facilitate effective handoff procedures.
- Provides guidance to more junior team members.
- Follows standardized laboratory processes and procedures with no instruction on daily work.
- Maintain continuing education credit requirements.
- Record nonconformances for all appropriate errors.
- Enter and track data in a laboratory information database (LIMS)
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment such as liquid handling robotics and DNA sequencers.
- Regulatory responsibilities per Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Regulatory responsibilities per Good Clinical Practices (GCP)
- Regulatory responsibilities per Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- Regulatory responsibilities of “Testing Personnel” for high complexity testing as defined by 42CFR493. 1495
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Other)
- Earned BS degree in a Chemical, Physical or Biological science from an accredited institution, with greater than seven years of pertinent molecular laboratory experience subsequent to qualifying of which at least seven years have been spent working in a clinical molecular laboratory meeting the definition of high-complexity.
- Earned MS degree with a major in one of the chemical, physical or biological sciences and, subsequent to graduation, has had greater than four years of pertinent molecular laboratory experience of which at least two years have been spent working in a clinical molecular laboratory meeting the definition of high-complexity.
- Molecular biology skills (e.g. DNA Extraction, Purification, PCR, qPCR, next-generation DNA sequencing) and related technical knowledge
- Competent with laboratory automation and demonstrated laboratory best practices
- Experience working with human blood, tissues and/or cells as well as proper handling of biohazardous material.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate across teams and disciplines
- ASCP(MB) certification
- Specialized knowledge and skills: Experience in a clinical, high-throughput environment is preferred.
- Working knowledge of laboratory terminology, equipment and supplies.
- Self-motivated and can work independently, with minimal supervision, while also working as part of a team environment in a dynamic organization. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Experience with Adaptive’s Sample Prep or PCR/Sequencing technologies or Methods.
Job involves working in a laboratory handling human biological specimens. Flexibility and willingness to work more than standard hours when necessary, including nights & weekends.
Individuals are required to sit or stand for much of the workday and perform data entry into computer systems.
Hourly Rate: $37.79 - $56.73
Other compensation elements include:
Interested in this position, but don’t meet all the requirements? Adaptive is committed to building diverse, equitable, and inclusive teams across our organization. Please consider applying even if your experience doesn’t match all the qualifications; you may be the exact candidate we’re searching for!
Adaptive is not currently sponsoring candidates requiring work authorization support for this position.
Adaptive’s benefits at-a-glance.
Adaptive Biotechnologies is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability. Please refer the Equal Employment Opportunity Posters for more information. If you’d like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email [email protected].
If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail [email protected]. This email is created exclusively to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or technical issues not related to a disability, will not receive a response.
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: Adaptive Biotechnologies values our relationships with our Recruitment Partners and will only accept resumes from those partners who have active agreements with Adaptive. Adaptive Biotechnologies is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited or are received by any employee of Adaptive Biotechnologies who is not a member of the Human Resources team.