Remote hybrid: Persons in these roles are expected to spend part of their time on-site in our Seattle offices but may occasionally work remotely. On-site requirements vary based on position and team.
Compensation Range: $115,380 - $170,760
Potential Bonus: Up to 15%
Software Engineer, PRIOR Team
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen. The core mission of (AI2) is to contribute to humanity through high-impact AI research and engineering.
AI2’s Perceptual Reasoning and Interaction Research team (PRIOR) seeks to advance computer vision to create AI systems that see, explore, learn, and reason about the world.
Our latest work includes:
Unified-IO: The first neural model to perform a large and diverse set of AI tasks spanning classical computer vision, image synthesis, vision-and-language, and natural language processing (NLP).
ProcTHOR: Enabling Embodied AI to scale by orders of magnitude by procedurally generating interactive 3D environments.
Iconary: Pictionary-style web game when you play against an AI attempting to guess or draw a representation of a sentence using icons.
Learn more about our work at https://prior.allenai.org
Your Next Challenge:
PRIOR is looking for a Software Engineer to work closely with our scientists on a variety of projects in the following research areas:
- Vision and Language
- Embodied AI
- AI for the Common Good
- And more ...
Your responsibilities may include:
- Create code repositories and build the foundation for scalable research projects and public facing demos.
- Build internal tools to automate tasks.
- Design and implement solutions for making existing code bases more robust.
- Add continuous integration systems to projects.
- Reproduce errors encountered by researchers and help develop solutions.
- Create testing infrastructure and write tests.
- Create infrastructure to facilitate research projects, data collection or demos using various Cloud services (e.g. from providers like AWS, GCP)
- Implement functionality on computer vision and reinforcement learning toolsets.
- Implement functionality on Embodied AI platforms (AI2 THOR).
- Collect annotated data using crowdsourcing.
- Work on public facing demos at various levels of the stack (front to backend).
- And more ...
What You Will Need:
- Strong software development skills
- Experience with cloud services (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Strong engineering skills to implement scalable infrastructure designs.
- Strong investigation and debugging skills to break apart systems and fix bugs.
- Strong collaboration skills - our environment is small and collaborative, and we’d like you to thrive on working closely with others.
- Experience building systems at scale
- Experience launching public facing websites or demos.
- Experience in Unity or other 3D game development tools
- Experience architecting infrastructure solutions.
- Experience with crowdsourced data collection (e.g., Amazon’s Mechanical Turk)
- Background in computer vision or machine learning like experience in deep learning frameworks (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Building and evaluating deep learning models
Who We Are:
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people’s individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You may view the related Know Your Rights compliance poster and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision by clicking on their corresponding links.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to employees and applicants with disabilities to the full extent required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the ADA, you are encouraged to contact us at [email protected]
- Team members and their families are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life insurance, basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and an employee assistance program.
- Team members are able to enroll in our voluntary life insurance program, our voluntary accidental death and dismemberment program, our health savings account plan, our healthcare reimbursement arrangement plan, and our health care and dependent care flexible spending account plans.
- Team members are able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan.
- Team members will receive $125 per month to assist with commuting or internet expenses and are eligible to receive up to $150 reimbursement for health and wellbeing expenses per month.
- Team members will also receive up to ten sick days per year, up to seven personal days per year, up to 20 vacation days per year and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
- Team members will be able to receive annual bonuses and can participate in the long-term incentive plan.