At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to combat neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team is solely focused on developing treatments for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and clinicians, leading healthcare investors, and pharma company partners who share in our commitment to bettering the lives of patients.
We are seeking an experienced and collaborative Contract Manager to join Alector’s legal team. You will serve as a key member of the team, supporting the company’s pioneering research, robust clinical pipeline, and strategic collaborations with leading pharma companies. You will independently handle a wide range of agreements necessary for the operations of a growing clinical-stage biotech company. With other members of the legal team, you will help develop, implement, and train on policies and procedures to improve and streamline the contracting process. You will also work on our design, development, and implementation of a contract management system, as well as our development of contracting playbooks.
You will apply experience, judgment, and contracting skills, learn new skills and play a key role in helping grow the company. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a dynamic legal team at a public company while gaining broad exposure to a wide range of business, legal, and compliance issues as the company grows over time.
During the first year, your responsibilities and goals will include:
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements, including Master Services Agreements, Laboratory Agreements, Statements of Work, Consulting Agreements, and Confidentiality Agreements, escalating to manager and others as needed
- Manage a high volume of agreements from start to finish to support scientific and operational needs of the company
- Develop collaborative working relationships with cross-functional partners
- Operate and support our existing contracting policies and processes and assist in the development and implementation of process improvements
- Play an important role in the design, development, and implementation of a contract management system
- Contribute to the development of contracting playbooks and templates
- Develop training on contracting policies and processes or contract issues for the company
- Serve as primary point of contact for business stakeholders on contract matters
- Assist on other projects and supporting administrative functions as needed as part of the legal team
We’d love to hear from you if you have the following:
- BA in a relevant discipline. JD from an accredited law school or paralegal certificate (or equivalent degree or experience) is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in pharmaceutical/biotech industry contracting
- Familiarity with biopharma industry, from drug discovery to clinical development
- Ability to identify contract-related risks and issues and propose solutions and mitigations
- Strong drafting and negotiating skills, with the ability to work with or without a playbook
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Adaptability to new and evolving processes
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Excellent business judgment
- Strong communication and social skills, both oral and written.
Alector is a phenomenal place to learn and grow. Alector is a dynamic environment where teams are encouraged to experiment, take ownership of decisions, and question convention to solve complex problems. At Alector, we value shared wins, perseverance, and a growth mindset.
Alector was named on Fortune’s "Best Workplaces in Biopharma
" top list for small and medium-sized companies for the second year! And we moved up from #16 to #11 in 2022.
Among the things you’ll discover at Alector on Day 1 and throughout your tenure: Committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, brand-new brightly lit offices in Oyster Point, right at the heart of Biotech Bay. Alector offers flexible remote work options, and competitive compensation and benefits. Come join us!
At Alector, we believe that hard-working teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.