Data Science Director
Posted on 5/3/2022
Arlington, VA, USA
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor's Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Master's, MBA, JD, MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- Lead a team of analysts within Global Data Science, including project oversight, mentor, and professional development
- Work with internal and external clients to understand their strategic business questions and lead project prioritization and design to answer those questions using Visa's data
- Lead other tasks on R&D, data governance, system infrastructure, analytics tool evaluation, and other cross team functions, on an as-needed basis
- Ability to encourage the highest level of quality and thought leadership in reports & data analysis
- Guide team in the development of meaningful solutions and creation of work you're doing that optimally communicate the findings and recommendations
- Develop Visa's unique global data assets in order to support other Data Science teams in answering critical questions for business teams
- Measure effectiveness of utilization of data assets and for advising resources towards high potential data sources, knowledge and technology assets
- Use big data and cutting-edge data mining techniques, provide guidance on analytic techniques and business applications to unlock the value of our data set
- Lead development of assets supporting scalable analytic approaches capable of being used by data scientists globally
- Make recommendations and build use cases on new sources of value by addressing the biggest gaps in our data sources in relation to revenue potential
- Voice support for new analytic approaches for processing big data through internal training, documentation and by leading technical sharing sessions
- Utilize Hadoop, and related query engines, such as Hive and Impala, to perform sophisticated data mining
- Research industry metrics and business context and bring this context to bear in analyses
- Find opportunities to create and automate repeatable analyses or build self-service tools for business users
- Direct the execution of medium to large analytic projects based on business requirements and desired business outcomes
- Define detailed analytic scope and methodology, and create architecture plans for data assets
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor's Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- Minimum of 7+ years of analytical experience in applying solutions to business problems in relevant fields such as analytics, business consulting, or other related functions
- Post Graduate degree in quantitative/relevant field such as Statistics, Operational Research, Computer Science, Economics, Business Administration, etc
- Experienced knowledge of databases and engineering concepts with hands on experience with one or more data analytics/programming tools such as SAS/Hive/R/SQL/Python
- Knowledge of big data engineering stack including Hadoop, Spark, Kafka and other related components
- Familiarity or experience with data mining and statistical modeling (e.g., regression modeling, clustering techniques, decision trees, etc.) is strongly preferred
- Prior experience with Visa or clients of Visa handling analytic applications of payment data is a plus
- Previous experience with a consulting firm delivery consulting services to financial services clients is a plus
- Proven experience in planning, organizing, and leading multiple multi-functional projects with diverse cross-functional partners
- Good discernment to orient data analysis to business needs of clients
- Eloquent communicator able to translate data and technical concepts for a business audience
- Demonstrated ability to innovate solutions that tackle business problems
- Strong business acumen with proven ability to solve business problems through industry-leading engineering methodologies
- Experience in payment, retail banking, or retail merchant industries is preferred
- Understanding of Cards/Payments and Banking business model would be a plus
- Team oriented, collaborative, respectful, and flexible style, with the ability to tailor results to varied audiences
- Detailed orientation is expected to ensure the highest level of quality in planning and roadmap development for deliverables
- Proven track record in translating analytics output to significant recommendations, and delivery
- Experience in communicating ideas and analysis to a technical audience
- Exhibit intellectual curiosity and strive to continually learn
Leading credit card company
Visa's mission is to remove barriers and connect more people to the global economy. The company provides end-to-end financial infrastructure.
- Health Insurance.
- Life Insurance.
- Dental Insurance.
- Disability Insurance.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance.
- Integrity: Doing well by doing right.
- People: Behind payments are people.
- Innovation: Pioneering with a purpose.
- Clients: Keeping clients in focus.
- Collaboration: Pulling ahead by pulling together.