Senior Engineering Manager, Communities
Posted on 3/22/2022
- Collaborating with product, design, data science, support, and other stakeholders (including the leadership team and sometimes entities like legal, international expansion, security, etc.) to understand the problems we want to solve, exploring how we can solve them, and what our users have said about the problems and solutions so far
- Discussing and collaboratively solving engineering and product problems with engineering collaborators synchronously via Zoom or asynchronously via Slack and sometimes Issues, Discussions or Google Docs
- Coordinating and communicating with partner team leads for planning purposes
- Communicating effectively with product stakeholders
- Conducting 1:1s with direct reports to provide regular feedback and ensure career growth and progression
- Working with your manager in your 1:1 meetings to grow yourself and careerWorking with your peer Engineering Managers in the team
- Talking with users to discover what they love and what their pain points are
- Balancing the growth of a product or feature and the people on that team with the growth of your reports (we work in a more flexible way where your project's team can comprise of any Eng ICs in the department; doesn't only have to be your reports)
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 3 years experience in a leadership role(s) (does not have to be professional experience)
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
- Strong attention to detail, planning, and organization
- Experience communicating with and presenting to a large number of stakeholders, including product and executive stakeholders
- Experience executing initiatives in an iterative fashion
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Passionate about growing individuals and guiding them in their career progression
- People Management
- Meet with direct reports (and other team members) 1:1 on a regular basis
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing, and advancing in their respective careers through mentorship and sponsorship
- Project Leadership
- Find and introduce new ways to help the team understand and improve their tempo, shipping iteratively to learn, and making decisions to move forward
- Collaboratively define, scope, prioritize, and estimate work
- Groom the backlog in collaboration with your PM, Designer, and tech lead. Group, break down, and edit issues such that engineers can complete them more easily
- Establish technical plans with your project tech lead and other team members for more complex or unknown areas that require definition and validation
- Work with engineering, design, and product leadership to ensure alignment and progress towards meeting milestones
- Ensure the team ships products, features, and bug fixes regularly with architecturally consistent, high quality software
- Communication and Advocacy
- Give and receive feedback to grow yourself and the team
- Drive conversations around technical issues and engineering practices, suggesting improvements and ideas as you see them
- Communicate effectively with the team and company ensuring clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- Experience managing teams
- Experience building, operating and maintaining resilient, scalable distributed services
- Experience with Rails
- Experience building highly available services at scale
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
Open-source code hosting
GitHub is on a mission is to build a global platform for developer collaboration. The company operates an open-source coding hosting and collaboration platform
- A diverse and inclusive workplace - At GitHub, we think that a diverse company is a strong company, and we work hard to foster a supportive and welcoming workplace. Learn more about our commitment to diversity.
- Work happier - Build amazing things with a balance of autonomy and collaborative teamwork. Set your own work schedule and make use of a flexible PTO plan when you need to recharge.
- Lead from any location - GitHub is a remote-first company with offices located throughout the US, Europe, and Asia. Whether you live near an office or not, GitHub believes you can do your best work wherever you are. If you work remotely, you will receive a stipend to outfit your home office and receive reoccurring reimbursement refreshes.
- Put your health and family first - You’ll enjoy 100% coverage of health insurance premiums across our medical, dental, and vision plan offerings, including coverage for dependents. We also offer five months of paid family leave to all new parents with the option to use it all at once or throughout the baby’s first year.
- Find your zen - GitHub provides a monthly wellness stipend designed to cover anything from gym memberships, massage, meditation apps, or any other wellness related expenses.
- Invest in your future - At GitHub, you’ll have a stake in the future success of our platform with equity grants. For full-time employees, we offer competitive 401k planning with a 50% company match up to the IRS 402(g) annual limit.
- Keep growing - Learn how you learn best. From books to conferences, you’ll get a yearly budget for your individual learning and development goals.
- Give back to your community - We believe in sharing our time, resources, and products to contribute to positive social impact. GitHub matches charitable donations up to $15,000 per calendar year. And for each hour (up to 40 hours) of volunteering per year, you will receive $20 to donate to an organization of your choice.
- Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
- Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
- Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
- Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
- Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.