Sr. Factory Automation Engineer
Consumer Hardware, Starlink
Posted on 3/15/2023
West Athens, CA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, physics, or computer science discipline
- 5+ years of total experience in industrial or factory automation design and implementation OR 5+ years of experience designing and building electro-mechanical/robotic/automated systems or products
- Excited by a quick and iterative design and manufacturing role
- Proven ability to solve complex problems with simple solutions in both design and implementation stages
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, with the ability to make plans and directional recommendations collaboratively and cross-functionally
- Ability to engineer creative, new approaches to problems while adhering to ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA safety requirements to keep a factory safe
- Electrical sizing of motors, cables, circuit protection, VFD's, motor starters, various other motion systems
- Design of fail-safe electrical circuits using both safety logic controllers and safety-rated relays
- Hands-on experience troubleshooting industrial electrical systems using tools like multimeters, oscilloscopes, EMI probes
- Proficiency in understanding and creating electrical schematics and single line diagrams (EPLAN preferred)
- Field bus networks, serial communication, and Ethernet communication
- Hands-on experience designing and commissioning high quality electrical panels and electro-mechanical systems with appropriate safety considerations in mind
- Knowledge of NEC, NFPA, UL508A codes with ability to ensure compliance with control system safety standards
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary to support critical milestones
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
- Design, develop, and manage automation projects - this includes initial factory ideation, machine commissioning and proof of rate capability, and eventual hand-off to operational teams
- Architect, write, and debug PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable for high-volume manufacturing applications
- Keep our factory safe and reliable by implementing ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant systems for robots, gantries, conveyors, and other manufacturing equipment
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens to make complex machines easy to understand, operate, and troubleshoot
- Design electrical systems compliant to NEC, NFPA, & UL508A regulations
- Stay organized by creating schedules and budgets, and then motivate the team to achieve them
Designs, manufactures, & launches rockets and spacecrafts
SpaceX's mission is to make humanity multiplanetary. The company is working on a next generation of fully reusable launch vehicles that will be the most powerful ever built, capable of carrying humans to Mars and other destinations in the solar system.
- Benefits and Perks - Our employees’ well-being is important to us and essential to our capacity to do extraordinary things. We offer a wide variety of programs to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families.
Company Core Values
- Make History - SpaceX has gained worldwide attention for a series of historic milestones. It is the only private company capable of returning a spacecraft from low-Earth orbit, and in 2012 our Dragon spacecraft became the first commercial spacecraft to deliver cargo to and from the International Space Station. And in 2020, SpaceX became the first private company to take humans there as well.
- Reusability - SpaceX believes a fully and rapidly reusable rocket is the pivotal breakthrough needed to substantially reduce the cost of space access. The majority of the launch cost comes from building the rocket, which historically has flown only once.
- Landing - SpaceX’s family of Falcon launch vehicles are the first and only orbital class rockets capable of reflight. Depending on the performance required for the mission, Falcon lands on one of our autonomous spaceport droneships out on the ocean or one of our landing zones near our launch pads.