We are looking for Software Engineers to join our fast growing Engineering team. This is a great opportunity to work with an amazing team and drive the technology of learning products and platforms. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, engineers do not just write code, they actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and solutions that matter to our customers. If you love your customers as much as we do, we’d love to hear from you.
This position is a full-time remote opportunity! (We’ve been remote friendly for years and that isn’t going away).
Nerdy (NYSE: NRDY), the parent company of Varsity Tutors, is a leading platform for live online learning, with a mission to transform the way people learn through technology. The Company’s purpose-built proprietary platform leverages technology, including AI (Nerdy AI Learning Products - Press Release), to connect learners of all ages to experts, delivering superior value on both sides of the network. Nerdy’s comprehensive learning destination provides learning experiences across 3,000+ subjects and multiple formats—including one-on-one instruction, small group classes, large format group classes, on-demand study support, and adaptive self-study. Nerdy’s flagship business, Varsity Tutors, is one of the nation’s largest platforms for live online tutoring and classes. Its solutions are available directly to students and consumers, as well as through schools and other institutions. Learn more about Nerdy at https://www.nerdy.com/.
With more than a decade of operating experience we are North America’s largest tutoring network and help hundreds of thousands of people learn each year through tutoring, classes and self study.
We succeed thanks to a diverse mix of talented people who want to come, to stay, and do their best work. If you love learning, technology, and making a true impact, you’re going to love working here!
Who you are:
Note: There is no such thing as a “perfect” candidate, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position, you should apply. Everyone can grow at Varsity Tutors. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply. Apply now if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day!
In this position, you will…
- Collaborate with stakeholders and partners across teams and departments
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Come ready to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Be effective in a team environment working with fellow engineers, product management, and design
- 3+ years of experience working as a Full Stack Engineer
- Experience with React or similar UI frameworks (e.g. Vue, AngularJS)
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, Golang, or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django)
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, Lambda, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Familiarity with implementing e-commerce solutions is beneficial
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns
- Collaborative team-oriented work environment with a feedback rich culture
- Remote First Culture
- Work-life balance
- Competitive Salary plus Equity (RSUs)
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Flexible PTO
- Paid VTO ("Volunteer Time Off" to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members
Varsity Tutors Leadership Principles
Relentless Focus on Customers * Comfort with Ambiguity * Ownership * Simplify * Intellectual Curiosity * Build Teams * Think Big * Insist on High Standards * Bias for Action * Build Trust * Go Deep * Have Conviction * Deliver Results * Are Right, a Lot
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.