Backend Engineering Manager III
Updated on 2/13/2024
Global online dating platform with diverse brands
Match Group, with its 25-year history, has consistently demonstrated industry leadership by pioneering the concept of online dating and introducing technology-driven features like the Swipe feature® and social discovery. The company's commitment to diversity, safety, and privacy, as well as its efforts to make tech connections more inclusive, sets it apart in the industry. With over 750 million downloads of its apps and its products contributing to over 40% of all online-started relationships in the U.S., Match Group's influence and reach are undeniable.
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 3%
1 year growth↑ 17%
2 year growth↑ 22%
New York, NY, USA
Google Cloud Platform
- Strong programming skills in languages like Go, Python, C#, Java, Kotlin, Typescript/JS
- Experience with system design & architecture, cloud platform proficiency, and building scalable web applications in a microservice architecture
- 6+ years of industry experience in an IC software engineer/developer role
- 3+ years of experience leading engineering teams with at least 4 team members
- 4+ years of experience building scalable cloud services with AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Experience building software applications involving significant data processing and throughput
- Develop an engineering roadmap for the team
- Identify technical gaps and opportunities in the team’s ownership domain
- Monitor backend systems and evaluate their performance
- Contribute to the architecture of the team’s systems
- Communicate effectively to audiences of various technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Manage the portfolio of technical skills on the team and provide coaching/mentoring/feedback for IC’s
- Prior experience with Go
- Effective collaborator with strong written communication skills
- Innovative leadership with a track record of leading projects through completion
Hinge is the dating app designed to be deleted
In today’s digital world, finding genuine relationships is tougher than ever. At Hinge, we’re on a mission to inspire intimate connection to create a less lonely world. We’re obsessed with understanding our users’ behaviors to help them find love, and our success is defined by one simple metric– setting up great dates. With tens of millions of users across the globe, we’ve become the most trusted way to find a relationship, for all.
About the Role:
Hinge is seeking an experienced Backend Engineering Manager to join our team and play a critical role in shaping users’ dating journeys. Your team will be responsible for the backend services that drive user accounts, profiles, actions, and notifications.
As a Backend Engineering Manager, you’ll contribute significantly to establishing and nurturing team processes that foster teamwork and clear communication. You’ll collaborate closely with a diverse group, including direct reports, technical leads, data scientists, engineers, engineering managers, and product managers.
- Develop an engineering roadmap for your team that supports both short and long term product goals.
- Identify technical gaps and opportunities in the team’s ownership domain by staying plugged into developments in the broader tech industry and in your team’s codebase.
- Monitor Backend systems to continuously evaluate their performance, ensuring that these systems are meeting the demands of the business.
- Contribute to the architecture of your team’s systems
- Communicate effectively to audiences of various technical and non-technical backgrounds.
- Own the effectiveness of the backend UserCore engineering team by managing the portfolio of technical skills on the team, and providing coaching/mentoring/feedback for IC’s.
What We’re Looking For:
- Strong programming skills: Prior experience with Go is preferred, but we’re open to strong proficiency in popular languages like Python, C#, Java, Kotlin, Typescript/JS. The ability to quickly understand and navigate an established code base.
- System design & architecture: Ability to quickly understand and navigate an established code base, familiarity with common cloud infrastructure services (e.g. queues, k-v stores, relational data stores) and distributed system concepts (e.g. state machine replication, etc.), experience designing and building scalable web applications in a microservice architecture.
- Cloud platform proficiency: Ability to utilize common cloud environments such as AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Effective collaborator: You can to work effectively on teams and communicate complex technical ideas clearly for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong written communication: Ability to communicate complex ideas and technical knowledge through writing.
- Innovative Leadership: Team-first leadership and a tendency to help teams work efficiently get stuff done. A track record of leading projects through completion, and proactively solves problems when they present themselves.
- 6+ years of industry experience in an IC software engineer/developer role.
- 3+ years of experience leading engineering teams with at least 4 team members.
- 4+ years of experience building scalable cloud services with either AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Experience building software applications that involve significant amounts of data processing and throughput.
As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy:
401(k) Matching: We match 100% of the first 10% of pre-tax 401(k) contributions you make, up to a maximum of $10,000 per year.
Professional Growth: Get a $3,000 annual Learning & Development stipend once you’ve been with us for three months. You also get free access to Udemy, an online learning and teaching marketplace with over 6000 courses, starting your first day.
Parental Leave & Planning: When you become a new parent, you’re eligible for 100% paid parental leave (20 paid weeks for both birth and non-birth parents.)
Fertility Support: You’ll get easy access to fertility care through Carrot, from basic treatments to fertility preservation. We also provide $10,000 toward fertility preservation. You and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible.
Date Stipend: All Hinge employees receive a $100 monthly stipend for epic dates– Romantic or otherwise. Hinge Premium is also free for employees and their loved ones.
ERGs: We have eight Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)—Asian, Unapologetic, Disability, LGBTQIA+, Vibras, Women/Nonbinary, Parents, and Remote—that hold regular meetings, host events, and provide dedicated support to the organization & its community.
At Hinge, our core values are…
Authenticity: We share, never hide, our words, actions and intentions.
Courage: We embrace lofty goals and tough challenges.
Empathy: We deeply consider the perspective of others.
Diversity inspires innovation
Hinge is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe success is created by a diverse workforce of individuals with different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural backgrounds.
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact [email protected].