Staff Research Scientist - Materials Development
Posted on 2/12/2022
Menlo Park, CA, USA
- As a part of the resin development team, lead the evaluation of the design, measurement, and process robustness of new Carbon resins to estimate and understand the impact of batch to batch variation of resin manufactured at scale on product performance
- Lead the determination of resin specifications and test methods that will be used for both internal and external QC purposes. Connecting liquid level polymer resin properties with 3D printed part mechanical and accuracy properties
- Design experiments to assess the material property response of various individual variables that could be part of the resin formulation, printing or post processes in a complex material system
- Working with a cross-functional team, help to identify the root cause of any resin related problem that came up during resin scale up or after commercialization. Design tests to evaluate hypotheses and drive process improvements accordingly
- Advanced degree in Polymer Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related field with 5-10 years of industrial experience with a focus on quality assurance or product spec setting is required. Outstanding BS/MS level with 10+ years industrial experience will also be considered
- Experience with polymer resin product development from product scoping to scale up and commercialization through phase gate processes is highly desired
- Experience with UV-curing chemistry and/or polyurethane chemistry is highly preferred
- Hands-on experience with a broad range of polymer material characterization techniques in both liquid and solid form is required, including: viscosity, color, GPC, FTIR, DSC, TGA, tensile and tear with Instron, DMA, etc
- Ability to draw conclusions and come up with actionable next steps from ambiguous and incomplete data sets
- Excellent organizational skills and an eye for detail
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast paced environment, handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines
- Strong analytical skills with good data tracking and presentation ability. Strong oral and written communication skills
3D printing technology
Carbon is on a mission to enable creators everywhere to make what the world needs right now. Carbon develops 3D printing technology for enterprises.
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Gym Membership / Reimbursement
- PTO / Vacation Policy
- Paid Holidays
- Maternity / Paternity Leave
- 401K / Retirement Plan
- WE ARE AMBITIOUS - Be bold. Take risks.
- WE ARE INNOVATIVE - Innovate from diverse perspectives.
- WE HAVE INTEGRITY - Do what’s right.
- WE ARE COLLABORATIVE - Building together makes us better.
- WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE - Take ownership. Make it happen.