UX Research Intern
Motional is looking for a UX Research intern to help us deliver a user experience that is intuitive, comfortable, and that will develop trust for this state-of-the-art technology. You’ll apply a user-centered approach to give our product team a deep level understanding of our users – allowing us to prioritize and build the most meaningful solutions.
You will facilitate and conduct user testing in a fast paced agile environment. You should have experience recruiting study participants, conducting interviews, and pulling together insights & findings for a larger audience.
In addition to conducting hands-on evaluative research, experience with survey design and statistical analysis is a plus. You will be working closely together with other researchers to deliver insights to inform product design.
Please submit your resume, and at least 2 projects that best represent your capabilities, skills, and interests.
What you’ll be doing:
- You’ll be the voice of the user - helping foster a team culture of empathy and understanding of user needs and desires, while balancing business decisions and decisiveness
- Plan, facilitate, and implement user testing sessions that answer key product questions, in close collaboration with the rest of the product team
- Employ (and learn) a wide range of research tools and techniques, depending on your specialty (qualitative or quantitative) – i.e.:
- Deliver detailed and actionable research findings, and partner closely with designers and product managers to gain clear buy-in
- Define how people interact with the future of autonomous vehicles!
What we’re looking for:
- Must be able to come on site in Boston to conduct in-person testing
- You are passionate about solving hard problems most haven’t faced before
- In the process of pursuing a master’s degree or PhD in Anthropology, Human Factors, Psychology or another human-focused research field
- A keen desire to understand how humans think and act. You enjoy meeting, interviewing, and observing users in their own environments.
- Experience conducting interviews; you know how to ask non-leading questions
- Ability to clearly communicate your findings, and justify recommendations to stakeholders
- The ability to be flexible and inventive, using non-traditional approaches to research and user testing, given our product space
Bonus points (not required):
- Experience with quantitative behavioral research and/or experimental design
- Experience with survey design & statistical analysis
- Experience with generative research
- Experience working in the autonomous vehicle or automotive industry
Why you should join us:
This role offers the opportunity to work on extremely challenging problems that haven’t been solved at scale. We’re looking for someone excited to tackle problems such as – how do we make a person feel comfortable with riding in a car that’s driving itself? How do we make vehicles accessible without a human to help? How do we build an AV experience that people can trust? Our team is driven, not afraid, to solve problems like this.
Motional’s Product Team, where this role sits, is at the forefront of setting the vision for our products – from the experience of riding in an autonomous vehicle, to how to manage a fleet, to how roads are mapped, and more. We lead with a user-focused mindset, and as a User Experience Researcher, you’ll have a direct impact in shaping people’s experience with AVs, in the vehicle and outside it, and the future of mobility as a whole.
Lastly, while autonomous vehicles have been around for years, we are finally bringing this technology to market at scale. With over 100,000 public autonomous rides, and partnerships with major ride hailing players, a role at Motional offers the chance to drive the next revolution in mobility.
If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above - that’s okay! We encourage you to apply if you think this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and that you can deliver the results we need.
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors including but not limited to specific skills, experience and expertise, role location, certifications, licenses, and business needs. The estimated compensation range listed in this job posting reflects base salary only. This role may include additional forms of compensation such as a bonus or company equity. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Candidates for certain positions are eligible to participate in Motional’s benefits program. Motional’s benefits include but are not limited to medical, dental, vision, 401k with a company match, health saving accounts, life insurance, pet insurance, and more.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.