Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
Astra leads the industry in applying agile iterative development to space launch systems. Astra’s System Engineering team is at the center of this process: orchestrating the technical details for our current and future rockets, engaging in immediate and long-term analysis to determine what systems to build and when, leading technical teams in design and development, managing configurations, managing all requirements across the entire company, and leading engineering reviews. We work in close collaboration with a wide spectrum of stakeholders both inside and outside of Astra, delivering answers bound by physics and engineering. Our input is vital to making sure we are building the right thing.
This role will manage the configuration of the Rocket System. The Rocket System Configurator owns and manages the configuration baseline of the rocket system including the first stage, upper stage and fairing. As Configurator, you will have the opportunity to impact the layout of rocket systems to optimize performance, support operational needs, and inform the systems architect of modifications needed to meet operational and manufacturability requirements. Our product-based team supports the early development and definition, design, develop operational plans and procedures, support tooling and fabrication design, manage risks. Some of the areas you will contribute as part of the configuration team will include:
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Partner: With our Engineering and Production teams to design and develop rocket systems that will make a difference in how Astra operates
- Build: the designs to meet the customer’s need and inform engineering trades in support of engineering requirements for the rocket system
- Collaborate: across the Engineering, Manufacturing, Operations and Product organizations to Integrate and ensure our product integrates and meets the design Intent
- Develop: Create and oversee processes that will enable Astra to stay disciplined in design and development of rocket systems
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent STEM degree or equivalent experience in industry •
- Successful candidates in this role typically have 5+ years of related experience in automotive, aircraft, spacecraft, or launch vehicle hardware.
- Extensive experience with CAD (NX, CATIA, CREO, etc.) and PDM (Windchill, Teamcenter, etc.) environments
- Experience managing large CAD assemblies and associated drawings
- Experience in performing engineering trade studies
- Experience working on rapid conceptual design projects • Experience creating fabrication and installation drawings
- Experience with ASME Y14.100, Y14.5, Y14.41 drafting standards
- Experience in NX CAD and Teamcenter
- Structures design and/or manufacturing experience
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing materials, GD&T, and tolerance/stack-up analysis.
- Knowledge of rocket components, installation, and fabrication methods of piping systems.
- Experience with Configuration and Data Management in PDM systems
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.