We believe that Americans with limited income deserve modern, respectful, and effective experiences for navigating their government benefits and financial lives. Unfortunately, the status quo often fails to treat them as first-class citizens in their daily interactions with the social safety net and financial services. The tech industry hasn’t pulled its weight in solving the problems faced by low-income Americans.
Propel’s mission is to change that. We’ve built Providers, the most popular app in the country built specifically for low-income Americans. Over 5 million families each month use Providers to seamlessly manage their government benefits (programs like SNAP, commonly known as food stamps), conduct their banking, and save and earn money. Providers has been recognized by the White House, featured on the front page of the NYTimes, and carries over 500,000 five star reviews.
We’re hiring a Head of People to lead our HR and recruiting practices as we continue to scale the company and mature as an organization. In this role, you’ll have a phenomenal opportunity to help a hyper mission-focused company grow responsibly. You’ll lead an effective recruiting function that attracts world-class, mission-driven talent and build a workplace that keeps our team highly engaged. You’ll make sure we preserve the parts of our culture that define us today and keep us rooted in our mission, while making improvements that make us more productive and more likely to succeed in the long term.
We’re looking for an HR leader who can serve as a close adviser to our founders and our Executive team. You should bring a strong perspective on the role of People Ops, effective recruiting, and HR best practices; but you should be open to changing your mind when something that has worked for you in the past might not work at Propel. Your success will depend on your ability to build trust across the organization through systems and relationships, as well as on your capable management of your recruiters and HR team.
Propel is a for-profit, venture-backed company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, Nyca Partners, Financial Health Network, JPMorganChase, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We’re strongly committed to hiring a diverse team. We encourage applications from those with traditionally underrepresented backgrounds, and we particularly value lived experience with the social safety net.
- An opportunity to make an immediate and lasting impact on Propel’s team, culture, and business
- A get-stuff-done, fun, and caring workplace
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- A remote-first work environment with a dog-friendly office in Downtown Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco and Salt Lake City
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of similar startups in Tier 1 markets; salary is not scaled by location. The salary range for this position is $200,000 - $250,000, with a strong equity package and excellent benefits.
What you have:
- 10+ years of experience in HR and recruiting, with at least 5 years in a people management and leadership capacity
- Experience in a People leadership role operating at scale (100+ people)
- Strong opinions about the role that HR should play in the day-to-day functioning of Propel, and in key decisions that affect the experience we build for the team
- Expertise in key HR policies, best practices, and norms, ensuring that we can make decisions quickly
- Experience leading HR and Recruiting teams with varying levels of experience
- Excellent, clear, and concise written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to motivate our team around critical problems and help steer the organization through difficult periods
- Deeply insightful and human-centered problem solving; coupled with strong business instincts that help you constantly balance both what is best for an employee and the company
- A passion for our mission and willingness to be a vocal champion, both inside and outside of the company