Principal Hardware Engineer I
Updated on 11/30/2023
Engineers and manufactures space communication systems.
CesiumAstro stands out as a leading company in the aerospace industry, offering tailored, mission-ready solutions for both commercial and defense applications. Their competitive advantage lies in their full-stack modular product line, which allows for customization based on specific payload requirements. With a diverse global operation that includes hardware and software engineering, manufacturing, mission systems, and wireless communications engineering, the company fosters a culture of technical excellence and industry leadership.
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 10%
1 year growth↑ 26%
2 year growth↑ 64%
Broomfield, CO, USA
Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Design
- Bachelor of Science (BS) degree or higher in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 9 years of industry or university research experience in board-level electronics design, analysis, and test.
- Direct experience designing high-reliability electronics and small systems for space or defense applications, including part derating, worst-case analysis, and thermal constraints.
- Experience owning the design phase of complex board-level electronics and small hardware systems, including architecture design, trade studies, key part selection, and detailed design.
- Multiple experiences delivering hardware products through production and deployment.
- Expertise in PCB layout and manufacturing, including high-density interconnect (HDI) stackup design, IPC standards, and industry best practices.
- Expertise derisking designs with board-level signal integrity and/or power integrity simulation tools such as Ansys SIwave, ADS SIPro, or Mentor Hyperlynx.
- Strong understanding of adjacent fields, such as software and mechanical, that contributes to judicious design of hardware system architectures.
- Expert-level proficiency in electronics design tools such as Altium.
- Extensive lab experience for bring-up and verification of new hardware, based on in-depth understanding of specialized lab equipment.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Own end-to-end design of complex electronics modules and systems, from concept and architecture through schematic, layout, test, and production. Products may include high-speed digital, power electronics, and/or RF.
- Lead teams of hardware engineers to develop new products with multiple electronics modules.
- Provide subject matter expertise in support of hardware development across the company.
- Develop hardware architecture and write hardware requirements for systems of high complexity.
- Perform detailed and complete schematic design for complex boards, ranging from key components to supporting passives.
- Perform detailed PCB layout in Altium Designer for complex boards, often working with a PCB Drafter.
- Complete analysis such as worst-case circuit analysis, signal integrity analysis, and power integrity analysis. Guide analysis methodology.
- Develop bring-up plans and design verification plans for new hardware and complex systems.
- Perform bring-up and key verification testing of modules and complex integrated systems, often working with a team to complete validation.
- Release modules and assemblies to production, working with the Manufacturing and Test Engineering teams.
- Mentor junior and senior engineers to build technical understanding and professional development.
- Use strong working knowledge of adjacent fields, such as software and mechanical, to streamline development of complex hardware systems.
- Experience leading teams of hardware engineers to develop multi-module assemblies, including hardware architecture, requirements, and interconnects.
- Design for space radiation environments.