L5, Studio & Creative Production
Updated on 2/6/2024
Subscription streaming entertainment service
Netflix's mission is to entertain the world. The company operates a streaming platform for movies & TV shows and has over 222 million subscribers globally.
Los Gatos, California
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 0%
1 year growth↑ 4%
2 year growth↑ 1%
Los Gatos, CA, USA
AI & Machine Learning
Data & Analytics
- Experience in data engineering and data modeling
- Proficiency in building batch or streaming production data pipelines
- Hands-on experience with technologies like Spark
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for operational excellence
- Ability to acquire and work with new data sources
- Own critical portions of Netflix's Studio & Creative Production data model
- Collaborate with stakeholders to understand needs and develop data pipelines
- Modernize established production processes
- Continually acquire new data sources to develop a rich dataset
- Translate data questions into flexible methodologies
- Build strong partnerships with source system engineers, data scientists, and others
- Experience with Computer Vision, Graphics, and Machine Learning
- Ability to automate tedious work
- Curiosity and industriousness
- Experience with multi-modal data (text, video, audio, images)
Netflix is revolutionizing the entertainment industry with world-class technology. We serve 235+ million members across 190+ countries, delivering billions of hours of great movies & TV shows every month in 30+ languages. To meet our members’ entertainment needs, Netflix has invested in scaled Content Production & Promotion workflows. With assistance from creative supervision and member feedback data, we have built tools & processes that use technologies like Computer Vision, Graphics, Machine Learning & Generative methods to enable our creators to tell the best version of the story they want while allowing our studio to scale further.
The Studio & Creative Production Data Engineering team, within Data Science and Engineering, is responsible for enabling our partners to develop foundational R&D initiatives shaping the future of content production and promotion at a global scale. We source data from disparate sources to form a rich multi-modal data foundation (text, video, audio, images), we build ML models and capabilities (such as customized generative models and multi-modal embeddings enabling unique content understanding), that are high leverage and unlock impact across Netflix.
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer with a passion for operational excellence to join our team.
What will you do?
- Fully own critical portions of Netflix’s Studio & Creative Production data model. Collaborate with stakeholders to understand needs, model tables using data warehouse best practices, and develop data pipelines to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality data.
- Modernize established production processes that have been built in a bespoke way to meet the more widely used team practices.
- Continually acquire new data sources to develop an increasingly rich dataset that characterizes content.
- Creatively explore how to use data to continually add value to Netflix. Translate data questions into flexible methodologies that scale to answer broad problems across the organization.
- Be a bridge between data engineering and the business, enabling insight that can empower better decision-making.
- Build strong partnerships with source system engineers, data scientists, analytics engineers, and Machine Learning practitioners
- Be comfortable outside of your comfort zone - explore new tech, make your own tools, or find new creative ways to address an old problem.
- Lazy in a productive way (find tedious work boring and would rather automate it).
- You are not bothered by ambiguity, finding patterns in the most complex of environments and bringing order into chaos gives you joy.
- Charismatic, determined, curious, and industrious, and not just talented.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment, and see yourself as a partner with the business with the shared goal of moving the business forward.
- Have strong beliefs that are weakly held: you can deliberate, and hear, all sides of a discussion and adapt to new perspectives that emerge from it.
- Sharp communicator who can break down and explain complex data problems in clear and concise language.
- Hands-on experience building batch or streaming production data pipelines, ideally using Spark.
- Create code that is understandable, simple, and clean, and take pride in its beauty.
- Love freedom and hate being micromanaged. Given context, you’re capable of self-direction.
- Deep expertise in data modeling and workflow authoring with the highest regard for data quality.
- Motivated to explore new technologies and learn, and can do so without taking formal education.
Netflix’s culture is an integral part of what makes us successful. We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that bringing together different perspectives and backgrounds helps build stronger teams. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $170,000 - $720,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.