At Retool, we’re changing the way software is built. We’ve developed the fastest way to build internal tools, saving companies time, resources, and engineering bandwidth. Whether it’s refunding orders, underwriting loans, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, analyzing transactions, or providing customer support, Retool makes it dramatically faster and easier to build internal tools that teams need. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster building a lot more software. We’re looking for highly collaborative people as we build a world-class team to support this mission and we’d love for you to join us!
DESIGN AT RETOOL
Retool designers are a mix of creative optimists, systems-thinkers, and tinkerers across product and brand that work together to solve some of the trickiest problems in software. Instead of designing just one product, Retool designers effectively design unique software products for thousands of companies across many different verticals.
This also presents a unique design challenge. Because it’s possible to build nearly anything in Retool, we don’t have absolute control over how our users experience the product and are constantly seeking the right balance between convention and configuration, between technical expressiveness and conceptual simplicity.
We’re still a relatively small team, so there’s plenty of room to grow and your opportunity for impact is huge. We’re looking for highly motivated and collaborative designers to join us as we build a truly world-class team to rethink the way the world builds software.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Retool is looking for a Product Designer to help lead our product growth and new user activation areas. This designer will be working closely with product and marketing partners to create optimal paths for new users to understand and find value in Retool through experimenting across many different touchpoints in the Retool product.
This role will be the first design role directly responsible for product growth, so there will be many opportunities to help define and shape how we think about product growth and also how we introduce people to the world of building on Retool.
Our primary customer right now is developers, so likely the first part of the work this role will take on is to deeply understand how developers reason about getting started on Retool and how we can make it easier and more delightful for them to make their first Retool app.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU’LL
- Design and deliver key experiences that help new users onboard and become successful on Retool.
- Iterate on existing surfaces by shipping and learning from experiments to improve the user experience and drive engagement.
- Work closely with analysts, product managers, and other team members to understand user needs and business goals and help convert those into opportunities, hypotheses, and projects.
- Collaborate with other designers across the organization to consider the entire picture of how onboarding and activation impacts other parts of the product.
- Partner with cross-functional peers to define project requirements and scope against quarterly objectives, breaking work down into smaller milestones and shipping cadences.
- Work with engineering partners to understand constraints and collaborate on how to implement designs with a high quality bar.
- Be an active participant in design at Retool, providing thoughtful feedback across design and product teams in critiques, reviews, and more.
THE SKILLSET YOU’LL BRING
We’re looking for someone who has a bit of experience working in B2B saas growth and feels confident working across many different areas of the product with many stakeholders.
- Likely has at least 4~ years of experience as a professional designer (If you feel confident in your abilities and have less experience, feel free still to apply).
- Strong understanding of the basics of visual design—including typography, color, layout, and composition—and how to apply that to web based layouts effectively.
- Strong business and product thinking acumen that allows you to see opportunities in the intersection of user needs and business needs
- Proven track record of delivering timely results in a fast-paced, high-growth environment that ships and iterates quickly.
- Learning mindset with high curiosity and low ego that allows you to push on ideas but be open to feedback and new information.
- Ability to bring a long-term vision to life through smaller shipped projects.
- Experience working in both marketing and product contexts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; showcasing an ability to clearly communicate with team members, cross-functional partners, and company leadership.
WHAT WE HOPE YOU’LL GET IN RETURN
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits package for our stage.
- Ability to work on innovative ideas around software building and computing that will hopefully set the bar for the industry at large.
- Opportunity to contribute to things like systems and processes to help the company scale.
- Chance to work in-office part time and connect with and learn from ambitious and thoughtful people, while still being able to recharge your batteries working from home.
- Collaborate and learn from experienced and thoughtful designers at Retool.
- Opportunity to impact not just one but thousands of companies at scale.
- Ship truly valuable features to help you learn, build your portfolio, grow your career at Retool and beyond.
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
At this time, Retool is only set up to employ in the US and UK.