Reporting to the Senior Director, Operational Accounting, this position is responsible for all revenue recognition for the Sponsorship, Licensing and Gaming business lines.
Candidate will need a strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles for revenue recognition and should possess an exceptional ability to distil data in a high transaction environment, be very proficient with Excel, and prepare reports in a clear, detailed, and relevant manner for Senior Management.
- Oversees team responsible for all accounting and revenue recognition for the Sponsorship, Business Development (Licensing) and Gaming business lines.
- Mentor/lead team to ensure meeting deadlines and providing accurate reporting results
- Interpret new agreements/contracts for proper accounting treatment / revenue recognition
- Assist with testing of new revenue systems and ensure accounting reports are available and accurate
- Work with Sponsorship, Business Development (Licensing) and Gaming groups for accurate monthly reporting
- Preparation/Review of journal entries for Sponsorship, Licensing, and Wireless revenue streams in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Research and resolve all discrepancies identified in revenue reconciliations
- Prepare schedules to be used in monthly budgeting and forecasting
- Review of monthly roll forward schedules and account reconciliations
- Monitoring automated data integrations for completeness and accuracy
- Ownership of the Finance user group within Sponsorship Order Management System (AdBook+) used by various internal groups / Main Finance liaison for system support
- Ensure internal controls are effectively maintained for revenue related areas
- Meeting Close Deadlines
- Assisting with various ad hoc projects for Senior Director and Controller
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required
- 10+ years of accounting experience required (Big 4 and private experience preferred)
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant) certification is preferred for this role
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Detail oriented, superior analytical skills, and exceptional communication skills
- Able to work effectively under pressures of management deadlines
- Self-starter and a team player
- Well-developed problem-solving and analytical skills. Able to discern alternatives and make objective recommendations, understand how to effectively work with other business groups to accomplish goals.
- Ability to remain flexible in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the most historic of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. Employees love working at MLB because of the culture of growth, teamwork, and professionalism. Employees who are most successful at MLB take initiative, know how to identify problems and provide solutions, and always put the Team first. For those ready to step up to the plate and join the Major Leagues, MLB takes the same approach as teams do with their players: empowering our “workforce athletes” to be at their best by engineering experiences that put employees in the best position to succeed. Major League Baseball is looking for candidates who are passionate about growing America’s pastime to best serve its fans for decades to come.
MLB’s vision is to be the global sport of choice for youth to play, fans of all backgrounds to enjoy and a desired destination for employment. With a belief that the journey to growth and greatness is ongoing, MLB gives employees the opportunity to continue learning and honing their skills with programs such as: tuition reimbursement; mentorship programs; lunch and learns; online course subscriptions; paid industry certifications; business resource groups; and more.
MLB provides its employees with exceptional medical, dental, and vision coverage. Premiums are 100% employer covered to help employees focus on being their best!
Are you ready to Step Up to the Plate? Apply below!
Major League Baseball is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All in-office and ballpark-based positions are subject to MLB’s mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy
Per the NYC pay transparency law, the hiring range for this position is $110,000 to $155,000.
As a candidate for this position, your salary and related elements of compensation will be contingent upon your work experience, education, skills and any other factors Major League Baseball (MLB) considers relevant to the hiring decision. In addition to your salary, MLB believes in providing a competitive compensation and benefits package for its employees. MLB offers employees a full range of best in class benefits with no employee contributions towards medical, dental, and vision coverage premiums, as well as incentive and recognition programs, life insurance and automatic employer 401k contributions. All benefits are subject to eligibility requirements and the terms of official plan documents which may be modified or amended from time to time.