Major League Baseball is seeking an experienced Counsel with a focus in providing legal services to the Major League Baseball (“MLB”) Clubs and the Office of the Commissioner regarding all labor relations matters.
- Provide advice and counsel to the 30 Major League Clubs and departments within the Office of the Commissioner regarding labor relations and administration of MLB’s collective bargaining agreements
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with Club and union representatives
- Manage all aspects of grievances and pre-grievance disputes (including fact gathering, legal analysis, discovery, arbitration, and settlement negotiations)
- Bargain, administer and enforce Major League Baseball’s collectively bargained agreements
- Provide additional legal services as necessary
- Perform related duties as required
- J.D. and a minimum of 2 years’ legal experience required
- Excellent written and oral advocacy, and organizational skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and ability to provide sound legal advice while considering the operational and business needs
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and adapt quickly to changing priorities
- Ability to establish relationships and work effectively with a diverse group of in-house and external business groups, attorneys and staff clients, coworkers, and colleagues
- Willingness to travel
- Member of the State of New York (or ability to practice in the state of New York)
- Baseball industry experience is not required, but baseball knowledge is a plus
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the most historic of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. Employees love working at MLB because of the culture of growth, teamwork, and professionalism. Employees who are most successful at MLB take initiative, know how to identify problems and provide solutions, and always put the Team first. For those ready to step up to the plate and join the Major Leagues, MLB takes the same approach as teams do with their players: empowering our “workforce athletes” to be at their best by engineering experiences that put employees in the best position to succeed. Major League Baseball is looking for candidates who are passionate about growing America’s pastime to best serve its fans for decades to come.
MLB’s vision is to be the global sport of choice for youth to play, fans of all backgrounds to enjoy and a desired destination for employment. With a belief that the journey to growth and greatness is ongoing, MLB gives employees the opportunity to continue learning and honing their skills with programs such as: tuition reimbursement; mentorship programs; lunch and learns; online course subscriptions; paid industry certifications; business resource groups; and more.
MLB provides its employees with exceptional medical, dental, and vision coverage. Premiums are 100% employer covered to help employees focus on being their best!
Are you ready to Step Up to the Plate? Apply below!
Major League Baseball is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Per the NYC pay transparency law, the hiring range for this position is $150,000 to $200,000.
As a candidate for this position, your salary and related elements of compensation will be contingent upon your work experience, education, skills and any other factors Major League Baseball (MLB) considers relevant to the hiring decision. In addition to your salary, MLB believes in providing a competitive compensation and benefits package for its employees. MLB offers employees a full range of best in class benefits with no employee contributions towards medical, dental, and vision coverage premiums, as well as incentive and recognition programs, life insurance and automatic employer 401k contributions. All benefits are subject to eligibility requirements and the terms of official plan documents which may be modified or amended from time to time.