Software Systems Engineer
Posted on 11/17/2022
Newport News, VA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field and 4+ years of related experience; years of experience can be substituted in lieu of degree
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and cloud computing
- Experience with logging tools such as Splunk, AWS Cloudwatch, or other syslog tools
- Experience troubleshooting software and/or hardware failures
- Understanding of DoD compliant security standards
- Strong, self-motivated desire to learn new programming languages, tools, frameworks, and techniques
- Ability to complete tasking independently with minimal direct supervision
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively within a multi-disciplined engineering team
- Must have a current DoD SECRET Security clearance
- Must have current DoD 8570 compliant certification (such as CompTIA Security+ CE or CISSP)
- Use Agile development tools such as Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket/Git, and Slack to manage work and collaborate with other teams
- Work with local and remote software engineers to create, monitor, and maintain multiple Cloud deployments at various classification levels and provide Cloud Engineering support leveraging existing Commercial off the Shelf (COTS), Government off the Shelf (GOTS), and open source components, as well as implement new technologies
- Provide essential feedback to software engineers on the deployment and performance of newly created software and tools
- Create and update relevant documentation and specifications for design, development, testing, and operation
- Participate in troubleshooting, presentation of ideas, and system improvements within the team
- Regularly review system logs, identify errors, and convey findings to others on the team
- Provide immediate technical support necessary to meet critical operational requirements to include schedule flexibility needed to address issues as they arise which may require after hours or on call support
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools such as Terraform
- Familiarity with basic web technologies including HTML, CSS, XML, REST, JSON, SOAP, and WSDL
- Familiarity with web application and server technologies, such as Apache Tomcat, JBoss, LAMP stack, etc
- Experience working with Cloud technologies to build scalable web applications
- Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies and practices to quickly iterate on new software designed to meet mission goals
- Knowledge of software version control systems such as Git
- Familiarity with multiple operating systems (macOS, Windows, Linux, etc.)
- Familiarity with at least one Relational Database Management System (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc.)
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Windows PowerShell and Linux Shell scripts
- Familiarity with modern cloud computing design practices such as microservices
- Familiarity with designing and operating highly available cloud networks at scale
Scientific & engineering systems integration service
Leidos’s mission is to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through technology, engineering, and science. The company is a leader in systems integration and technical solutions while working closely with all branches of the U.S. military, the U.S. Department of Defense, other U.S. government civil agencies, and also customers in select markets across the globe.
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Health Savings account
- Income protection
- Paid parental leave
- Jury duty pay
- Bereavement leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Family Benefits
Company Core Values
- Integrity: Is having the courage to make tough ethical decisions, taking pride in our work, being transparent with our team, and being respectful of everyone.
- Inclusion: Is fostering a sense of belonging, welcoming all perspectives and contributions, and providing equal access to opportunities and resources for everyone.
- Innovation: Is not limited to our engineers and scientists. It is acting as a catalyst. Being tenacious and curious to help us excel and be a part of a learning organization.
- Agility: Is being flexible, creative, and resilient. It is our ability to think and act small while using the size and strength of our balance sheet to our advantage.
- Collaboration: Is being team-oriented and proactively engaging to meet shared objectives. It is about building relationships and staying connected with each other.
- Commitment: Is being accountable, taking ownership, modeling servant leadership, and operating with a sense of urgency to our customers and teams.