Location: The data team team is New York City-based with a flexible work from home policy. This position can also be fully remote within the US, with a preference towards individuals residing in the Eastern Time Zone.
The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news, and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, we now reach more than 20 million readers per month. We are based in New York and are an operating business of IAC.
The Daily Beast is seeking a highly skilled and experienced data scientist to join our data team. The data team at The Daily Beast plays a critical role, owning both our end-to-end data strategy and providing strategic insights to the newsroom, executive, and business teams (product, subscription, affiliate, revenue operations, display advertising and more). Major initiatives from the past year include machine learning-led user scoring model, data-driven transition from membership to subscription, and strategic development of new areas for editorial expansion.
The ideal candidate will be at the center of all this, developing models, crafting test designs, and collecting, analyzing, and interpreting complex data sets to identify trends, patterns, and insights that can inform business decisions and drive growth. This individual will also oversee potential new projects and data products to apply more advanced statistical and machine learning techniques to, helping further advance The Daily Beast’s business goals.
- Develop and maintain data models and tools that enable the data team to analyze large data sets and extract valuable insights.
- Use your data crunching, statistical, and machine learning skills to contribute to high-impact projects affecting company revenue and product initiatives.
- Analyze and visualize data to effectively communicate insights, trends, and recommendations to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including product, editorial, sales, consumer revenue (subscription and e-commerce), marketing, and engineering, to drive business outcomes.
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and advancements in data science to drive continuous improvement in data-driven decision-making.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a data science role.
- Strong proficiency in SQL, Python, R, and/or other data analysis tools.
- An understanding of statistics, machine learning techniques, and data wrangling methodologies.
- Experience working with large and complex data sets.
- Familiarity with the AWS data stack
- Expertise in data visualization techniques and software such as Tableau, Looker, Data Studio, etc.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively present data and insights to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a data team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Prior experience working in the media or advertising industry is a plus.
Why Work Here
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in New York City. As a part of IAC, we are able to offer best-in-class benefits.
- Flexible vacation & sick leave (for exempt and non-guild employees)
- Hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive, employer-subsidized insurance plans
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 401(k) matching
- Tuition reimbursement
- Stocked kitchens with snacks and drinks
- Free Daily Beast subscription
Your well being is our priority:
- Teledoc and One Medical memberships
- A vibrant, collaborative, and supportive culture (we celebrate and have fun!)
We support our parents at all points on their journeys:
- Generous paid parental leave
- Free, premium, unlimited access to Care.com for your ongoing care needs: children, seniors, pets, home, and more
- [email protected] Backup Care for Children: Access to subsidized, in-home (or in-center) care for your children up to 10 days per year
The pay range for this position is: $115,000 to $135,000. The base salary range represents the anticipated low and high end of the salary range for this position. Actual salaries may vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to work location, experience, performance and other factors. The range listed is just one component of The Daily Beast’s total compensation package for employees. The Daily Beast provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, 401K employer matching program, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO).
Don’t meet every single requirement listed here? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet each and every qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re interested in joining the Beast but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with this job description, we encourage you to give it a shot all the same. It might turn out that you’re just the right candidate for this or other roles. See more about our commitment to diversity at https://www.thedailybeast.com/company/diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.