Staff Platform Engineer
Updated on 9/29/2022
San Francisco, CA, USA • Remote
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Bachelors degree in a STEM field, ideally in computer science or related field
- Outstanding programming skills with deep knowledge of databases, distributed systems, and backend concepts
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, deploy, and manage large production compute or data backend platforms at scale. Experience using modern big data frameworks, scaling computation to hundreds of machines, and/or working with machine learning systems preferred
- Demonstrated ability to triage and solve open-ended, ambiguous systems-level problems
- Directly impact our mission of reducing fresh food waste by working on our backend data and machine learning platform that uses massive amounts of grocery store data to make ordering recommendations
- Build out our backend data and machine learning platform as well as supporting tooling to process tens of billions of historical data points collected from tens of thousands of retail stores and beyond
- Support developer experience for our wider engineering organization across functions and teams
- Leverage modern data analysis and processing frameworks, programming languages, and tooling-such as Apache Spark, Pandas, Python, and SQL-to provide powerful compute capabilities to our data and ML backend platform
- Scale our data backends that leverage a combination of traditional databases, data warehouses, and data lakes to support varying access patterns
- Scale up your impact by leading technical projects, participating in technical and design decisions, mentoring engineers, and participating in recruiting functions
- Act as an exemplar for our culture of excellence, curiosity, collaboration, proactivity, candor, humility, and kindness
AI-powered fresh operating system
Afresh's mission is to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Fresh is the future - and they're building solutions that are ready for it.
- Comprehensive health plans
- Competitive compensation
- Generous parental leave
- Equity packages
- 401(k) matching
- Flexible vacation policy
- Monthly grocery stipend
- Professional development program
- Humility - We serve our customers and teammates, and do what’s best for them.
- Candor - We believe feedback makes us better and communicate transparently.
- Proactivity - We identify opportunities, own problems, and act with purpose.
- Kindness - We care for the entire person and give without counting costs.