Exterior Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted on 10/15/2022
Irvine, CA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field, Master's degree preferred
- CAD design experience for your commodity including an excellent understanding of those systems & components which surround & interface to your commodity - Catia V6 experience is preferred
- Over 6 years' experience delivering multiple vehicle programs to production, with specific experience in Body Mechanisms
- Travel will be a key part of this role, with the candidate expected to travel to Normal to support the production line
- As a leader in a world class design and development team, it is anticipated that during all development phases you push the boundaries of conventional thinking to ensure the maximum performance and customer delight
- Lead complex systems design for Body Exterior Mechanisms (such as Wipers, Active Aero and Tonneau systems) from clean sheet designs, defining system features & needs and working collaboratively with all interested parties to deliver them. This includes use of new and industry leading technologies to
- Your responsibility, while primarily technical, will encompass entire responsibility for the technical integrity of your components, requiring you to collaborate with and lead a team of cross functional disciplines. The input from these teams is critical to the right first time, on time delivery of your parts. This collaboration will include technology, functional safety, purchasing, supplier quality assurance, advanced manufacturing and finance
- If your parts have a studio input, you will also be responsible for ensuring the timely release of surfaces from the studio to support your component release
- Complete all design releases on time to ensure on time delivery of parts for all virtual, prototype and production build phases
- Lead initial DFMEA activity incorporating the necessary cross functional team members. Use the DFMEA process to drive and inform design and testing. Throughout the project, update DFMEA's to maintain an accurate record of risks
- It will be necessary for you to either perform your own CAE analysis or coordinate CAE input into component optimization. This will include appropriate selection of materials and manufacturing process
- Working with the nominated supplier you will also be responsible for ensuring thorough design for manufacturing (DFM) input has been included in the design. Key to this will be appropriate levels of dimensional control and quality assurance at the maximum volume takt time
- You will be responsible for geometric dimension and tolerancing of your designs either in 2D drawings or 3D models. They must have undergone DPA with no major issues prior to release
- Capability to work in a cross functional team to understand and resolve complex production concerns
- Able to drive and solve complex problems, using advanced problem-solving techniques to determine containment, root cause analysis, countermeasure, and lessons learned
- A strong understanding of the first-principle physics of your system - the loads, forces, overall function of the system and key attributes including knowledge of Body Engineering Simulation and Analysis tools
- A systems approach to design and development with the desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement
- An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team - specifically this means active brainstorming, working on components that are not part of your commodity and sharing models as required to support the changing needs of an evolving vehicle and work environment
Electric vehicles manufacturer
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. The company believes there is a more responsible way to explore the world and is determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. Rivian designed their emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles to challenge what's possible.
- Ownership for All: We offer every employee the opportunity to own Rivian stock through equity programs, supporting their financial wellness.
- Mental and Emotional Wellness: We provide employees and their families access to mental wellness platforms and our Employees Assistance Program
- Fertility and Family Planning: We support diverse family-building journeys, providing employees with benefits such as paid parental leave and financial support for adoption, fertility treatments or surrogacy.
- Competitive Compensation: We offer competitive compensation packages driven by mutual investment in our long-term growth and success.
- Career Development: We enable all employees to own their development. Continuous learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement help drive performance, boost engagement and develop future leaders.
- Transgender Benefits: In alignment with WPATH guidelines, our 2022 plans provide coverage toward medical, pharmacy and cosmetic needs.
Company Core Values
- A diverse workforce
- Embracing active allyship
- Purpose-driven partnerships
- Supporting our team