Posted on 12/22/2023
We are on a mission to help more people achieve the sense of protection
Protective Life stands out for its century-long commitment to providing security and protection to over 12 million customers, underpinned by a people-first culture and a dedication to fulfilling promises. The company's financial stability, demonstrated by its $132 billion in assets, and its affiliation with Dai-ichi Life Holdings, Inc., provide a competitive edge in the industry. Moreover, Protective Life's robust virtual workforce and core sites across multiple locations highlight its adaptability and commitment to technological advancement.
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 1%
1 year growth↑ 6%
2 year growth↑ 13%
Birmingham, AL, USA
Finance & Banking
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- 5+ years of relevant employment
- At least 2 years of management experience
- Knowledge and experience with budgets, expense reporting and financial analysis
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Communication, interpersonal, leadership, coaching, and conflict resolution skills
- CPA designation is preferred
- MBA is a plus
- Provide managerial direction and oversee all aspects of performance management for 3-4 direct reports
- Oversee and ensure the development of team members; provides coaching to employees through their personal growth in functional expertise, communication skills, and ability to effectively interact with clients and peers
- Facilitate an efficient budget/forecast process that is effective in achieving financial goals/targets
- Present a monthly financial package that highlights key expense variances and trends, including headcount and metrics
- Assist with cost benefit analyses for identified initiatives and establish processes to track progress of identified benefits
- Prepare ad hoc analyses and assist with special projects to support key strategic initiatives
- CPA designation
The work we do has an impact on millions of lives, and you can be a part of it.
We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
The Director, Financial Operations will own the delivery of operational financial analysis and reporting, including the budgeting and forecasting process for Operations. This working leader will provide managerial direction and oversee all aspects of performance management for direct reports. There will be significant interactions with executive leadership in Operations, Protection and Retirement segments and Corporate Accounting.
***This role will be titled Director, Financial Reporting within the organization.***
- Provide managerial direction and oversee all aspects of performance management for 3-4 direct reports. Measure and hold direct reports accountable for meeting defined performance standards; provide feedback to employees.
- Oversees and is accountable for all Human Resources-related managerial functions and responsibilities associated with hiring, compensation management, employment relations, and termination of employees. Oversee the identification and hiring of new employees.
- Oversee and ensure the development of team members; provides coaching to employees through their personal growth in functional expertise, communication skills, and ability to effectively interact with clients and peers. Identify and develop future leaders.
- Facilitate an efficient budget/forecast process that is effective in achieving financial goals/targets.
- Present a monthly financial package that highlights key expense variances and trends, including headcount and metrics.
- Assist with cost benefit analyses for identified initiatives and establish processes to track progress of identified benefits.
- Prepare ad hoc analyses and assist with special projects to support key strategic initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field is required.
- Knowledge and experience with budgets, expense reporting and financial analysis.
- Ability to train and provide direction to direct reports.
- Communication, interpersonal, leadership, coaching, and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management, planning and organization skills.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, including the ability to extract appropriate data to convey financial results using supporting tables, graphs, and other visual representations.
- Proven ability to build relationships and work well in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- 5+ years of relevant employment
- At least 2 years of management experience required.
- CPA designation is preferred.
- MBA is a plus.
Protective’s targeted salary range for this position is $85,000 to $125,000. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors, including but not limited to, job location, skills, and experience. The range listed is just one component of Protective’s total compensation package for employees.
This position also offers additional incentive opportunities [through an annual incentive based on individual and Company performance] OR [through cash compensation as part of a sales incentive plan (SIP).
We aim to protect our employees’ wellbeing through a broad benefits offering. For example, we protect physical wellbeing through health, dental and vision insurance. We protect mental wellbeing through mental health benefits and an employee assistance program. We protect time away from work with a variety of paid time away benefits (e.g., paid time off, paid parental leave, short-term disability, and a cultural observance day). We protect financial wellbeing through contributions to healthcare accounts, a pension plan, and a 401(k) plan with Company matching. All employees are encouraged to protect their overall wellbeing by engaging in ProHealth Rewards, Protective’s platform to improve wellbeing while earning cash rewards.
Eligibility for certain benefits may vary by position in accordance with the terms of the Company’s benefit plans.
Diversity and Inclusion:
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees are able to fully contribute and thrive. Our goal is to grow and develop our people, attract diverse talent and support strong, diverse communities.
We support diversity, equity, and inclusion by working to develop a culture of inclusion and belonging led by leaders who develop potential and embrace unique skills and abilities. Our aim is to create an equitable and accountable environment for all leaders and employees that will drive performance and impact business strategy. In this way, we can increase overall diversity for leadership roles and pipelines of talent by maturing our hiring practices, robust development opportunities and focus on retention of key talent.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.