Health Plan Pricing Actuary
Posted on 7/18/2022
Austin, TX, USA • Arcadia, CA, USA
- Advanced analytical skills and creative problem-solving abilities with an attention to detail
- Sound knowledge of actuarial techniques and standards
- Able to translate and effectively communicate financial models and the results of actuarial analyses
- Capable of working on multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Commercial awareness with an understanding of broader business issues
- Minimum of five years of experience in actuarial work with a focus on pricing large group healthcare plans
- Bachelor's degree in actuarial science, math, statistics, finance, economics or related field required
- ASA Designation Required. FSA Designation Preferred
- Experience with all or part of Excel-based pricing model development and maintenance including VBA capabilities, SQL query development and data management, and predictive analytics
- Analyzing financial, statistical and mathematical data and performing actuarial calculations
- Developing customized pricing and valuation models for the Curative Health Plan in an efficient, scalable, transparent, and accurate manner
- Identifying and assessing risk in actuarial responsibilities
- Creating reserving process and frequently monitoring to ensure reserve adequacy
- Collaborating with Finance, Underwriting, Risk Management, and Sales/Marketing teams to ensure models are updated as needed to improve underwriting performance while maintaining adequate reserves
- Providing actuarial support for internal and external reporting
- Calculating IBNR/IBNP
- Building of model enhancements and determines reasons for changes to calculated factors
- Designing predictive modelling tools to determine focus of future Health Plan wellness and cost-saving initiatives
- Supporting annual forecasting and budgeting efforts
- Performing special projects as directed by management including actuarial research, experience studies, and statistical analyses and calculations as required
COVID-19 testing & health services
Curative is building infrastructure to make essential health services easier to access for everyone
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Generous Vacation/PTO
- Stocked kitchen for in-office employees
- 401(k) for full-time employees
- Select remote opportunities
- Radical Ambition - Rebuilding healthcare is not for the faint of heart, but we are up to the challenge. When COVID-19 testing was few and far between, we were standing up mass testing sites around the county. Now we’re applying that same operational vision to optimize the healthcare delivery system. Every challenge is an opportunity, and every opportunity brings the potential to improve healthcare as we know it.
- Universal Accessibility - Everyone should be able to get the care they need, when they need it. We made COVID-19 testing and vaccinations accessible through kiosks, vans, and drive-thrus to meet people where they are and build health equity. Now we’re building high-touch preventive healthcare for our communities.
- Essential Functionality - Healthcare is filled with unnecessarily high costs and many new solutions can be more for show. Through our vertically integrated systems and data-driven decision making tools, we guide care to what’s needed and what’s preventive, while cutting out the unneeded.
- Proven Competency - Our work is done with intentionality based on the latest science and technology. Even if it moves fast, we have the extensive research and testing behind it. Our employees come from hugely diverse backgrounds, years of experience, and fields of education. No matter where they start, we encourage employees to grow into new positions and keep developing their skills.
- Collective Power - Healthcare doesn’t live in a vacuum. It is about where people live and work. We collaborate with diverse community partners to raise awareness and make healthcare delivery stronger.