Lead Engineer, Battery Systems Engineering
Posted on 9/27/2021
Irvine, CA, USA
- 8+ years of work experience in Battery and/or Automotive industries
- At least a bachelor's degree in engineering discipline
- Expert knowledge of battery behavior and High Voltage Safety
- Expert Knowledge of cell options and their relevant application in battery systems design
- Strong understanding of capturing electrochemical and thermal performance requirements of ESS
- Previous experience in automotive product development environments
- Previous experience launching large volume automotive electronics systems
- Creating the requirements from the ground up, using engineering analysis
- Excellent problem-solving skills; reliant on core engineering principles and common sense
- Strong communication, multitasking, and interpersonal skills, both in presentation and technical writing
- Versed with automated requirements management tools (e.g. JAMA, Doors, etc.)
- Issue tracking tools (Jira, Bugzilla, etc.)
- Previous experience with thermal design and performance of battery packs
- Previous experience with product launches and production schedules
- Lead HV Battery Systems Engineering focusing on the following aspects of the HV Energy Storage System (ESS) Cell requirements and attributes liaising with the Cell Engineering team in the ESS Department and the BMS SW team. Pack and Module architecture with downselected cell defining S and P configuration Pack and Module mechanical requirements working with ESS Electromechanical design teams Support derivation of ESS thermal performance requirements in collaboration with the wider ESS and Propulsion teams Interface with battery structures organization and CAE teams to derive ESS housing requirements Deliver robust requirements during the early vehicle development gateways that cascade specifications to other ESS and BMS teams Provide robust legislative and regulatory requirements and compliance matrices for different vehicle programs Coordinate with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to support new and live programs for issue resolution and application of effective lessons learned associated with HV Battery Pack engineering
- Work within, and influence, the Vehicle Program & Propulsion Management teams to guarantee that ESS collectively deliver the whole vehicle specification targets
- Lead a team in delivery of HV battery system engineering deliverables for Cylindrical Pack platforms: Responsible for decomposition of battery systems engineering requirements and derivation of sub-system requirements & verification test definition. This shall be done in collaboration with the ESS and Vehicle Test & Validation teams ESS and Sub-System Specifications which specify integration requirements for the ESS with other propulsion components and vehicle systems Coordinate ESS FMEA and DVP deliverables within the Cylindrical Pack Platform Engineering team Responsible for creation of end of line requirements that validate the Battery System design in a production setting
- Work in conjunction with a team of expert SMEs to support and drive program team execution: Interface with Core Team and Cylindrical Pack Platform battery systems SMEs to support requirements development and issue resolution. Tailor and align Core Team battery system technology and requirements for use across Cylindrical Pack platforms. Quickly transition to a variety of engineering discipline work, from high-level cross sub-system projects to specific component focus, depending on need of the team and stage of development/ production Coordinate delivery of battery system requirements in compliance with HV Safety design principles for the ESS
- Work with engineers across multiple disciplines to ensure timely completion of assigned tasks: Must be able to adapt and work within dynamic development timelines, with accelerated hardware production timelines, and software release cadence Detailed understanding of mechanical HV battery design, electrochemical performance of battery cells and integration of battery packs into vehicle
Electric vehicles manufacturer
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. The company believes there is a more responsible way to explore the world and is determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. Rivian designed their emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles to challenge what's possible.
- Ownership for All: We offer every employee the opportunity to own Rivian stock through equity programs, supporting their financial wellness.
- Mental and Emotional Wellness: We provide employees and their families access to mental wellness platforms and our Employees Assistance Program
- Fertility and Family Planning: We support diverse family-building journeys, providing employees with benefits such as paid parental leave and financial support for adoption, fertility treatments or surrogacy.
- Competitive Compensation: We offer competitive compensation packages driven by mutual investment in our long-term growth and success.
- Career Development: We enable all employees to own their development. Continuous learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement help drive performance, boost engagement and develop future leaders.
- Transgender Benefits: In alignment with WPATH guidelines, our 2022 plans provide coverage toward medical, pharmacy and cosmetic needs.
- A diverse workforce
- Embracing active allyship
- Purpose-driven partnerships
- Supporting our team