Zepz is the group powering two leading global remittance brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. Since 2010, we have been disrupting an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players with our relentless focus to reduce the cost of remittances and increase safety and convenience for our users. Every day, our people work to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology - driven by our vision of a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad.
Our brands helped cross-border communities send over $15bn from 50 countries to recipients in 130 countries in 2022. We operate over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,600 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents. Our vision is to create a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad. Our purpose is to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology.
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our users and spending money thoughtfully.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we’re open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts.
- We have a bias to action - We get to first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them.
- We are inclusive - to better reflect and serve our users.
About the role
The Data team at Zepz is responsible for delivering the infrastructure and services to support the fast-paced demands for reliable, high-quality data. Our customers rely on us to ensure timely delivery of data, enforce the highest data quality standards, and provide fast, easy access to data. This requires a next-level data platform, and we are looking for a Manager to build and manage a team of engineers to build services for that platform. You will be at the center of all activities: hiring, creating roadmaps, evaluating tools and technology, and execution. Our mission is to build a world class platform from first principles which will be leveraged both internally and externally. This new platform will enable Zepz and its partners to enter new markets while supporting the organisation’s goal of making remittance easy and secure for a global customer base.
Technologies and the environment…
We are using modern cloud-based technologies including databases services (Redshift, Bigquery, Aurora, RDS etc…), data analytics services (Athena, Looker, Glue, Databrew), storage (S3, GCS) and compute services (Lambdas, K8s).
We use standard data transformation and orchestration technologies, such as dbt and Airflow. Python is the primary language used for data processing. Standalone applications and/or services may be required to provide supporting functionality, which may include additional frameworks, languages such as Java.
We put a strong emphasis on automation, unit/integration testing and performance testing. We treat our data processing pipelines like any production system because if they fail, our users will be impacted. In Technology we work closely with our product and architecture partners to design scalable solutions that serve our customers.
Reporting to the VP Engineering, Data, you will:
- Recruit top software engineering talent.
- Develop talent within the team.
- Create a positive, high-performing environment.
- Ensure the team is aligned on company priorities, goals and OKRs.
- Hands-on participation in Engineering tasks such as coding, peer reviews, building automation tests
- Act as initial point of contact for your team and facilitating the inclusion of your engineers as required
- Work closely with Product Managers to align on your team’s capacity
- Work closely with Scrum Masters to build engagement, focus, responsibility and motivation in the team
- Collaborate with stakeholders, translating requirements into roadmaps for delivering data services
What we’re looking for from you…
- Technical ownership of the data services layer, accountable for the overall health, continuous improvement and evolution.
- Champion a mindset focused on maintaining a high standard for quality and operational resilience.
- Decisive and opinionated on what good software engineering practices look like.
- Lead cross-team efforts, highlighting areas of improvement and driving execution.
- Motivate team members, drive engagement and steer professional development.
- Have strong communications and presentation skills, be comfortable with presenting at the executive level.
- Experience with managing the design, build and deployment of data services on cloud-based infrastructure.
- Experience with delivering and supporting data services for internal and external consumers.
- Experience leading technology/tool evaluation/selection for data products and services.
- Experience with distributed, large-scale data processing platforms.
- Experience with orchestration and containerization tools such as Kubernetes and Docker.
What we offer you:
Please note that the benefits below do not apply to part-time, contractor or temporary roles.
We have five core benefits for our talent in the US, UK, Philippines, Poland, and South Africa. If you’re not in one of those regions, don’t worry - the Talent team can let you know what is available for you specifically:
Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
Private Medical Cover: You can opt-in to a Private Medical Insurance scheme. This provides you with access to thorough medical coverage, so you can feel confident in your health and well-being.
Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future.
Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected..
Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire.
Most roles in the Philippines are predominately office-based, with this we offer free meals for those 100% on-site.
In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!
Why choose Zepz?
Our team of over 1600+ employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization. While Zepz supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
At Zepz we record interviews using Metaview (https://metaview.ai). It helps us become better interviewers by recording and transcribing our interviews, and ensures we interview candidates in a fair & consistent manner. It is not required. Please let us know if you’d like to opt out of the use of Metaview - this will not affect the outcome of your interview.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ’perfect’ candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.