Staff Motor Mechanical Design Engineer
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
Palo Alto, CA, USA
- 6+ year track record of detailed mechanical design and manufacturing execution of precision rotating machinery
- Fundamental understanding of electromagnetic theory pertaining to permanent magnetic brushless DC motors
- Experience bringing precision new precision hardware from concept through mass production ramp
- Knowledge of high-volume motor manufacturing processes, materials and supply chains
- Strong engineering fundamentals in the areas of materials, mechanics, dynamics, design for manufacturability, tolerancing, high precision metrology, process control, statistics
- Impeccable 3D CAD and 2D drafting skills
- Professional accomplishments executing designs from clean sheet through protype, then pilot builds and finally production quantities
- Formal mechanical engineering education, B.S. minimum, higher preferred
- Lead mechanical design and manufacturing activities associated with developing custom electromagnetic motors
- Leveraging previous motor design and development experience, play a leader/facilitator role in the conceptual design phase considering cost, efficiency, mass, thermal, etc. system tradeoffs
- Perform rapid calculations and mechanical layout iterations in CAD in order to validate assumptions and funnel design concepts down to the most promising
- Author motor requirements and specifications for internal and supplier use
- Generate and maintain detailed 3D CAD of motor components, assemblies and production drawings
- Conduct FEA analysis of pertinent motor assembly topics including rotating dynamics, stress, strain, thermal stress, etc
- Conduct prototype motor builds and drive development and validation testing campaigns
- Assist with related work streams associated with bearings, sensors, housings that interface with the emachine
- Collaborate closely with powertrain modeling, drive unit design, NVH, controls, test engineering functions
- Lead key design reviews and visualization or demonstration activities
Electric vehicles manufacturer
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. The company believes there is a more responsible way to explore the world and is determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. Rivian designed their emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles to challenge what's possible.
- Ownership for All: We offer every employee the opportunity to own Rivian stock through equity programs, supporting their financial wellness.
- Mental and Emotional Wellness: We provide employees and their families access to mental wellness platforms and our Employees Assistance Program
- Fertility and Family Planning: We support diverse family-building journeys, providing employees with benefits such as paid parental leave and financial support for adoption, fertility treatments or surrogacy.
- Competitive Compensation: We offer competitive compensation packages driven by mutual investment in our long-term growth and success.
- Career Development: We enable all employees to own their development. Continuous learning opportunities and tuition reimbursement help drive performance, boost engagement and develop future leaders.
- Transgender Benefits: In alignment with WPATH guidelines, our 2022 plans provide coverage toward medical, pharmacy and cosmetic needs.
Company Core Values
- A diverse workforce
- Embracing active allyship
- Purpose-driven partnerships
- Supporting our team