REGENT is building the seaglider; the first electric flying machine that will transport commercial passengers. With a vehicle that never flies higher than a few meters off the water, we unlock the ability to fly twice as far as an electric aircraft, and certification by maritime authorities which will let us fly first passengers within 5 years.
We are actively hiring passionate team members who can help us get our vehicle to market as quickly and safely as possible. We are backed by the world’s best investors: the same investors who are behind SpaceX, Palantir, Boom Supersonic, and more. We have over $6B in provisional orders from some of the industry’s largest operators and are hitting the ground running.
Working at REGENT, you’ll be in a fast-paced environment with exciting new challenges daily and abundant opportunities for growth. Your coworkers are passionate about building zero-emission, high-speed seagliders that will revolutionize coastal transportation. Our small team works collaboratively and across disciplines to safely marry the latest technologies from aviation, aerospace and nautical engineering. REGENT offers competitive benefits including healthcare, dental, and vision plans as well as an employee equity incentive plan.
As a flight controls engineer, you’ll be developing and implementing control law algorithms for REGENT’s seagliders. These all-electric, wing-in-ground effect craft will have novel control challenges due to their multiple operational modes: hull-borne, hydrofoil-borne, and wing-born. This position will involve leveraging the interplay between hydrodynamic controls, aerodynamic controls, and distributed propulsion controls.
You will be able to utilize high-fidelity simulations and live-flight testing to validate and verify your control systems. As the Seagliders flight controls will be a safety-critical component, we are building our software using RTCA DO-178C processes for design assurance under a SAE ARP4754A aerospace vehicle design process. You will work closely with aero, hydro, and mechanical engineers designing control surfaces, systems engineers developing requirements, verification, and validation procedures, and test engineers. As the design matures, you will be involved throughout the transition from subscale to full scale prototype development and production craft development, testing, and certification.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Passion for aviation and aerospace, strong leadership skills
- BS/MS in computer science or related engineering discipline with focus on control systems
- 3+ years of experience developing control systems in the aviation or aerospace industry
- Experience with designing control systems for non-linear dynamic systems
- C/C++ Embedded software development experience
- Simulation environment development and operation
- Familiarity with MATLAB/Simulink
- Safety and quality focus
Bonus Points For
- MS/PhD in complex, nonlinear flight control design methods
- Development of safety critical components under ARP4754A
- DO-178C or DO-254 development processes
- Flight test or sea trials experience
- FAA pilot’s license or boating/sailing experience
We welcome applicants who may not align perfectly with all required skills and experience as there may be opportunity to grow into the specific responsibilities of the role.
This is a full-time on-site role based at our new purpose-built seaglider development facility in North Kingstown, RI (20 minutes south of Providence, RI and just over an hour south of Boston, MA). We expect in-office presence 3+ days a week. Lunch is provided daily.
What’s in it for you?
REGENT is committed to providing our employees with benefits to support their complete well-being, from excellent health, dental and vision insurance, to an unlimited vacation policy.
Our benefits include*:
- 100% of annual premiums covered for healthcare, dental, and vision insurance
- HSA plans available
- Paid parental leave
- Employee equity incentive plan
- Free lunch catered daily **
- Office amenities including snacks, drinks, coffee & espresso bar and an on-site gym **
- Dog-friendly office **
- Relocation packages available
- Flexible hours & generous PTO
- Paid holidays, including company summer and winter breaks
- 401(k) plans
* All benefits available to full-time staff
** Select benefits available to interns
REGENT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.