Director, Tax Research and Compliance
Posted on 2/1/2022
New York, NY, USA
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You're an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You're curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You're committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You're honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum 8 years of directly related experience working in a compliance, payroll and/or technical environment
- Minimum 10 years of experience providing tax consulting and advisory services preferably to a diverse set of small and medium businesses from multiple industries
- Experience with reading, interpreting, and communicating complex federal and state legislation
- Good business partnership instincts: an ability to quickly develop trusted relationships among functional peers in senior management
- An orientation towards being thoughtfully decisive, with a bias toward action
- Good communication skills that is suitable for a fast paced, rapid decision-making environment
- Research and communicate information about current payroll laws, taxes/wage legislation, and company procedures to ensure compliance and customer understanding
- When questions arise on payroll, withholdings and taxes, be the go-to person to provide answers, keeping the customer's experience top of mind
- Handle highly complex escalated issues, tax notices or tax audits for federal, state and local agencies
- Build robust formulas, validations, and review processes that enable you to successfully validate all payroll earnings, deductions, and taxes. These validations will help you ensure the accuracy and completeness of our payrolls each pay period, and at quarter and year end
- Keep business partners (customer success, payroll operations, tax operations, unemployment insurance) informed and ahead of statutory/legislative items that affect payroll, payroll tax processing, payroll tax reporting and associated benefits
- Assess statutory impact and make recommendations for system and business requirements and implementation
- Research and track pending legislation and agency changes via jurisdictional website searches, tax publications and newspaper reviews, to keep abreast of payroll, payroll tax and payroll tax reporting trends and issues that may potentially impact to Justworks' products and services
- Support internal control compliance initiatives, testing and remediation; ensure that payroll tax processes and procedures are updated. Provide guidance internally to Justworks' Government Affairs and Legal departments
- Act as SME and provide support internally and externally for initiatives as needed when Justworks expands into new jurisdictions and business services
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation
- Ethical practice - the ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding
- Analytical - uses a logical reasoning process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome
Payroll and benefits facilities platform
Justworks’ mission is to help entrepreneurs and businesses grow with confidence. The company is building software for payroll, benefits, HR, and compliance.
- Health - Believe in our vision. Medical and dental, too. Get support for your mental and financial health. Beta test new benefits and perks for our platform.
- Workplace - Volunteer and get paid to give back. Take paid parental leave. Enjoy monthly team events that help turn coworkers into lifelong friends.
- Wellness - Enjoy subsidized ClassPass memberships. Take advantage of regular yoga, meditation, and other wellness programming.
- Perks - Be an owner, not an employee. Get time off whenever you need it. Take a sabbatical. Invest in your future financially and with professional learning and development opportunities.
- Camaraderie - As a growing company ourselves, we know how crucial teamwork, higher purpose, and a healthy dose of fun can be to success. We’re here to help businesses bring great people together to accomplish important things, while enjoying themselves at the same time.
- Openness - We believe in radical transparency. This means we will never charge hidden fees, we will always be upfront with what we can and cannot do, and if we're not a good fit for you, we'll help you understand who might be.
- Grit - They say when the going gets tough, the tough get going. We are a team of hardworking individuals who are building the best product there is to help your business succeed. We are here to do the hard work.
- Integrity - Without trust, there is no partnership. And without integrity, there is no trust. We will always be open with you about changes and charges. You can always reach out to us with questions, concerns or if you just want to chat about your business needs.
- Simplicity - Payroll, benefits, HR, and compliance aren't traditionally known for their simplicity. But we've made it our mission to streamline and simplify these normally complicated parts of doing business. This means an easy-to-use product for both you and your employees.