Staff Software Engineer
Posted on 9/26/2022
Canada • Remote
- Hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go, or JVM-based languages (Java, Kotlin, Scala)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), EKS, EC2 and/or other cloud providers as well as experience with Terraform and Infrastructure as code
- Hands-on experience building platforms at scale for containerized workloads, particularly Kubernetes, including cluster provisioning, operations, and workflow orchestration
- You value keeping costs low while building your products
- An eye for designing easy-to-use, customer-focused systems that other engineers will use to manage their infrastructure
- You prefer using, enhancing, and contributing to Open Source solutions rather than building solutions from ground up
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Lead and drive technical decisions, projects, and execution within the team
- Collaborate with technical leads, and management across the platform, engineering, and product engineering organizations
- Play a meaningful role in defining and helping to implement our platform taking into account the important principles of Fault-Tolerance, Isolation, Operability, Availability, Resilience (including full region failover)
- Design and build frameworks, services, and tools to handle new Affirm products and business requirements that securely scale over millions of users and their transactions
- Challenge, educate, mentor and grow junior and senior engineers in the team
- Familiarity with Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) is a plus. We use technologies such as Kubernetes, ArgoCD, Docker, gRPC, Envoy, Istio, Celery/RabbitMQ, and NGINX but we are always looking for new technologies to adopt
- Experience with developing components within Kubernetes (eg: controllers) is a plus
Point of sale installment loans for consumers
Affirm seeks to deliver honest financial products—to improve lives. The company operates a buy-now-pay-later platform for consumers at the point of sale.
- Spending wallets: Access tech, food, lifestyle, and family planning wallets for your expenses
- Supportive communities: Get involved with our employee resource groups and community groups
- Remote-first workforce: If your role is remote, you can set up shop anywhere in your home country
- Generous time off: Take the time you need when life happens
- Health benefits: Get a plan that fits your needs
- Mental healthcare: Take care of your mind with great mental health programs
- Parental leave: Birth and non-birth parents get 18 weeks paid leave. Plus, a 4-week return-to-work transition program, at full base pay.
- Compensation: We have a simple, flexible, and transparent remote-first compensation structure so you can make the best decisions for yourself and your family.
- Away days: We offer 24 company-wide paid days off—which help our teams collectively pause to recharge.
- Learning & development: Engage in exciting learning programs to level up your growth.
Company Core Values
- People come first: We consider our impact on people’s lives before we think about our own interests.
- No fine print: We are completely transparent and honest—with our customers and with each other.
- It's on us: We take full accountability for our actions, never shirking responsibility or passing the buck.
- Simpler is better: We make complex things simple and clear.
- Push the envelope: We never stop innovating, taking smart risks, and raising the bar.