San Carlos, California
6 month growth↑ 9%
1 year growth↑ 43%
2 year growth↑ 126%
- Hold a minimum of a Master's degree in a relevant field
- At least 5 years of cumulative experience on life-sciences projects
- 1-3 years of experience in a project lead role
- Demonstrate a history of successfully leading multi-component life science instrument system development projects
- Technical prowess in complex project development
- Expertise in PCR principles, fluidics, instrumentation, and quality assurance
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficient in people management
- Preferred: PhD in a relevant field
- Preferred: Previous experience in a startup environment
- Preferred: Knowledge of PCR workflow development
- Preferred: Previous experience in building life science automation instruments
- Preferred: Possess additional qualifications or certifications related to project management
- Spearhead the development of the High-Throughput PCR Device
- Recruit and onboard core team members
- Collaborate closely with Senior Management, Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, and the R&D team
- Create a comprehensive Product Development Plan
- Define Key Performance Tests
- Provide strong technical leadership
- Effectively source and coordinate vendors
- Deliver data-driven insights
- Manage the smooth transition of the system into the production phase
- Cultivate a collaborative culture
- PhD in a relevant field
- Previous experience in a startup environment
- Knowledge of PCR workflow development
- Previous experience in building life science automation instruments
- Possess additional qualifications or certifications related to project management
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
We are seeking an exceptional Project Lead to assemble and lead a dynamic team in achieving our ambitious goal of developing a large-scale, high-throughput PCR device capable of producing IVT-ready DNA. This role offers a unique opportunity for a passionate and results-driven leader to contribute to groundbreaking advancements in life sciences technology.
- Development Leadership: Spearhead the development of the High-Throughput PCR Device, including instrument, protocols, consumables, and QC methods, overseeing the entire lifecycle from proof-of-concept to successful commercial service launch.
- Team Building and Expansion: Recruit and onboard core team members, building a robust cross-functional foundation for the project, and strategically hire additional talent to enhance project capabilities.
- Product Requirement Definition: Collaborate closely with Senior Management, Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, and the R&D team to negotiate and establish clear Product Requirements for the High-Throughput PCR Device.
- Strategic Planning: Create a comprehensive Product Development Plan, integrating insights from all company functions, outlining scope, schedule, and resource allocation for seamless project execution.
- Performance Metrics: Define Key Performance Tests to effectively evaluate system performance throughout development and into production.
- Technical Guidance: Provide strong technical leadership throughout the project lifecycle, from proof-of-concept to verification and validation phases, actively contributing to critical decision-making processes.
- Vendor Management: Effectively source and coordinate vendors, particularly for critical components, ensuring seamless integration into the project.
- Data-Driven Decision-Making: Deliver data-driven insights that inspire statistical confidence in the system’s ability to meet and exceed requirements.
- Production Transition Oversight: Manage the smooth transition of the system into the production phase, maintaining quality and efficiency.
- Cultural Nurturing: Cultivate a collaborative culture characterized by mutual respect, integrity, and teamwork within the broader R&D teams, fostering an environment conducive to innovation and success.
Essential Candidate Profile:
- Experienced Project Leader: Hold a minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant field, coupled with at least 5 years of cumulative experience on life-sciences projects. Total experience should include 1-3 years in a project lead role, ideally building teams from scratch.
- Proven Track Record: Demonstrate a history of successfully leading multi-component life science instrument system development projects, guiding them from concept to commercialization while achieving ambitious objectives.
- Technical Proficiency: Exhibit technical prowess in complex project development, with expertise in PCR principles, fluidics, instrumentation, and quality assurance.
- Exceptional Problem Solver: Display strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, adept at addressing intricate technical challenges during product development and production.
- Effective Communicator: Excel in interdisciplinary collaboration, seamlessly working with scientists, engineers, and stakeholders, while meticulously documenting project progress to ensure comprehensive stakeholder awareness.
- People Management Expertise: Proficient in people management, including hiring, training, developing, and deploying cross-functional teams, fostering a collaborative work environment, and upholding the highest professional standards and integrity.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- PhD in a Relevant Field: A PhD in a relevant field is a plus.
- Startup Experience: Previous experience in a startup environment is highly desirable.
- PCR Workflow Knowledge: Knowledge of PCR workflow development is beneficial.
- Instrumentation Expertise: Previous experience in building life science automation instruments, particularly PCR devices or high-throughput fluidics devices, is advantageous.
- Project Management Credentials: Possess additional qualifications or certifications related to project management.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, if based in California is: $170,000 - $220,000. Compensation may be different in other locations. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
- ✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
- ✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employment Laws: