IonQ is developing the world’s most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for an R&D Lab Engineer to support our R&D activities. As an R&D Lab Engineer, you’ll be part of a diverse multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and physicists whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
In this role you will be hands-on, supporting the build and maintenance of both experimental as well as first-of-a-kind quantum hardware to support our R&D activities. You’ll support a wide variety of efforts and system scale, ranging from one-off test and characterization systems to full technology demonstrators.
- Support the procurement, build, assembly, integration, and test of hardware systems for R&D
- Perform alignment, integration and testing of prototype and proof of concept systems, involving lasers, optics and fiber-optics, electronics, and mechanical sub-assemblies
- Coordinate external fabrication and assembly services
- Incoming inspection of hardware
- Prepare and present technical information of limited scope for internal engineers, scientists, and other internal customers.
- Create test plans and procedures
- Troubleshoot as well as conduct failure analysis of electro-optic and opto-mechanical systems to improve process and design; Organize and analyze data and document results.
- Assist with lab organization and safety procedures
- Support equipment calibration and metrology
You’d be a good fit with:
- B.S. in physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related engineering field
- Demonstrated relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: UV and visible lasers, fiber-optics and/or free space optics, research environments, ultra-high vacuum systems, general electronics, cryogenics, and RF electronics
- Ability to interpret engineering models, drawings, schematics, wiring diagrams, specifications, written work instructions, and test procedures
- Ability to work effectively with a strong work ethic and close attention to detail in a fast-paced dynamic team environment with constantly evolving roles and responsibilities
- Experience building mechanical, electrical or photonic assemblies
- Strong written, personal, technical, and software skills (CAD, Scheduling, Issue Tracking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc)
You’d be a great fit with:
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Hands-on experience in a relevant academic, government, or corporate research environment building and maintaining research and development systems
- Demonstrated experience with opto-mechanical systems, lasers, trapped ion systems, or photonics and fiber-optics
- CAD design for opto-mechanical assemblies
- Experience with software-hardware integration and development with data acquisition systems
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.