Staff Software Engineer
Posted on 5/11/2022
Chicago, IL, USA
- 10+ years of experience in a Software Engineer role
- Proven track record working with real-world projects, solid understanding of software development/delivery lifecycle
- Strong CS fundamentals, solid knowledge of OOP/OOD, GoF design patterns
- Proficiency with Java stack and JVM (memory/performance tuning, GC)
- A strong advocate of code craftsmanship, excellent coding standards, constant quality improver mindset with a bit of healthy perfectionism
- Solid understanding of concepts like Web Services, SOA, REST APIs, Message Queue, Distributed/Scalable Architecture
- Proficiency in Spring Framework, Hibernate (or similar ORM), Maven, Git
- Frontend experience, as well as any other language, is also beneficial
- Prior Technical Leadership experience is a huge plus
- Participate in the full development lifecycle, including design, coding, automated testing, and production releases of backend services
- Be a problem solver and drive to get results
- Able to find and fix performance, scalability and other live issues in a time critical environment
- Prototype ideas quickly using cutting edge technologies
- Communicate effectively to peers and leadership on tasks and projects
- Collaborate closely with front-end, architecture and cross-functional teams and deliver compelling solutions
- Passion for code quality, maintainability and testability
- Lead and mentor junior engineers
- Experience with Kafka/RabbitMQ (or any message broker) as well hands-on with containerisation (Docker) is a plus
Platform for online money transfers
PayPal is committed to our mission to democratize financial services for people all over the world. The company operates a global payments platform to help create a worldwide network of good.
- A Stanford Navigator helps employees research providers and health conditions, and make informed decisions about health care
- Advance Medical is available for all employees who are looking for a world-class specialist to provide an expert medical opinion for treatment plans
- Stock Purchase Plans
- Retirement Savings and Pension Plans
- Stock Awards
- Life Insurance and Disability Benefits
- Paid Time Off
- Four Weeks Paid Sabbatical for every Five Years of Service
- Educational and Professional Development benefits
- Matching Gifts & Volunteerism Opportunities
- Matching Gifts
- Skills-Based Volunteering
- Green Teams
- GIVE Teams
- Inclusion - Respect and value uniqueness and diversity of thought. We’re talking everyone, everywhere, at all times, regardless of background, level or circumstance. Ideas are richer and execution is stronger when everyone feels included.
- Innovation - Create amazing experiences for our customers – whether merchant, consumer or the PayPal community. Think differently, look end-to-end and practice empathy by putting yourself in our customers’ shoes.
- Collaboration - Work as a team, drive ownership and accountability, make decisions and get results. Foster trust, have integrity, champion each other and have each others’ backs. Eradicate silos and win as a team.
- Wellness - Care for and actively support each other’s well-being. Create a super energizing workplace that brings out the best in our employees by nourishing our mental, physical and emotional balance.