Reliability Engineer, Payments
Posted on 4/1/2022
- Have a passion for reliable and performant systems, and care deeply about the end-user experience
- Have a strong understanding of reliability practices, distributed systems, and cloud native architectures and/or have experience working as an SRE for critical systems
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby and Java, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, of Stripes work in a country that's different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world
- Lead impactful engineering projects to improve the scalability, reliability and performance of Stripe's payment methods across the board
- Lead incident response, review and remediation in a way that is blameless, sustainable and data-driven
- Take an engineering-first approach to operating Stripe's payment methods, by automating operational tasks and proactively identifying and addressing risks
- Improve how we approach designing and building reliable systems by running table top scenarios, operational readiness reviews and consulting on reliability best practices
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization including dependency engineering teams, product, design, infrastructure, and operations
- Building highly-available, scalable systems on top of which multiple teams can build novel payment methods with ease
- Launching new payment methods, ensuring we meet our high standards for reliability and performance
- Migrating existing systems to new versions of our payments stack, or adopting new platform capabilities, without risking downtime or instability
- Improving how we operate our services by fine-tuning monitoring systems and automating responses to non-exceptional service conditions
- Defining, measuring and managing our end-to-end-availability in terms of SLIs/SLOs and error budgets
- Enabling better observability and reliability for a variety of third-party integrations
Payment processing platform
Stripe's mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. Stripe is a technology company that builds economic infrastructure for the internet.
- Inclusive coverage - We provide a thoughtful and balanced set of benefits that allow Stripes to be their best selves and do great work. Whether that means offering comprehensive mental, physical, and medical health plans, supporting Stripes’ financial futures, providing fertility benefits and parental leave, or making sure Stripes have access to healthy food at the office, our robust programs put Stripes and their families first.
- Growth by way of learning - We are voracious learners and teachers. Our Education team delivers an onboarding and product training curriculum for all new Stripes, and hosts expert-led courses on things like project management fundamentals and macroeconomics. Beyond the formal program, Stripes are constantly sharing knowledge with each other through conversation, documentation, reading groups, and informal talks.
- A principled approach to food - The food program holds a special place in Stripe’s history and future. These Stripes come to our kitchen from a breadth of backgrounds and experiences, and focus on one proposition—respect. This is apparent not only in the local ingredients they work with or in the gracious, teamwork-driven buffet lines, but also in their approach to growing a global team through sustainable food practices and minimal waste.
- An environment of growth
- Intentional communication
- Fast-paced, detail oriented
- Voraciously curious