Role: Software Data Engineer
Location: Chicago or New York
At Aquatic, we are actively recruiting for a Software Data Engineer in our Chicago or New York office. In this role, you will work with quantitative researchers and software engineers to onboard new data sources and turn them into signals suitable for machine learning.
- Support signals research by onboarding new data sources
- Interact with vendors to understand data schemas and plan for changes
- Respond to data outages during normal working hours
- Work with signals researchers to optimize queries and refactor schemas as needed
- 2+ years full-time professional experience
- Experience with SQL, relational databases, and structured data formats
- Experience building batch data processing jobs in Python
- Familiarity with cloud-based data solutions
- Experience in finance is beneficial, but not required
- Exceptional communication and coordination skills
- Strong bias for action
- Driven by accountability and internal urgency
- Comfortable providing and receiving actionable feedback in a collaborative team setting
- Motivated by an ambitious environment and driven colleagues
The base salary for this role is anticipated to be between $150,000 and $300,000, which is based on information at the time of posting. This position may also be eligible for additional forms of compensation, such as a discretionary bonus, and benefits. Discretionary bonus can be a significant portion of total compensation. Actual compensation for successful candidates will be carefully determined based on a number of factors, including their unique skills, qualifications and relevant experience.
- Benefits: Fully paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, competitive 401k plan, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Wellness programs, casual dress, snacks, team and company events
- Development: Open environment to maximize learning and knowledge sharing
- Time: Generous PTO, paid holidays, competitive paid caregiver leaves
Aquatic is a quantitative trading and investment company recently launched by Jon Graham. Prior to founding Aquatic, Jon was a Partner and Senior Managing Director at Citadel, where he worked for more than 13 years. At Citadel, Jon held numerous senior positions over the years, including head of Statistical Arbitrage and Equity High Frequency, culminating in leading the highly successful Global Quantitative Strategies business.
Aquatic develops systematic investment strategies, enabled by a leading-edge research and development platform. The vision is simple: to build a world class, quantitative trading company with a collaborative team of highly capable researchers and engineers.
This role represents a unique opportunity to join a quantitative investment manager at the foundational level of building a world class operation from scratch. The firm’s culture will be shaped by collaboration, meritocracy, ambition, and calm determination.
Aquatic is a proud equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.