Power Components, Starship Avionics
Posted on 1/28/2023
West Athens, CA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, math, engineering or scientific discipline
- 1+ years of professional experience with mechanical/electromechanical hardware design and analysis (research and extracurricular academic projects qualify)
- Experience with computer-aided design (CAD) and finite element analysis (FEA) software packages
- Strong first-principles engineering fundamentals
- Demonstrated experience in design, CAD, FEA, GD&T, defining test plans, designing test setups, and executing hardware environmental qualification tests
- Experience with one or more programming languages
- Basic domain knowledge including battery monitoring techniques, cell and pack failure modes and failure mitigation, high voltage safety
- Basic understanding of power components (e.g. motors, batteries, solar, or energy storage systems), or high-power radio-frequency (RF) mechanical components
- Excellent communicator with the ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, managers, and suppliers
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems
- Hands-on experience with mechanism/structures design, prototyping, and precision mechanical assembly
- Must be willing to travel as needed to Starbase launch facility - Brownsville, TX
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
- Serve as the responsible engineer and extreme owner for the design, analysis, fabrication, and qualification, and flight operation of high-voltage batteries, power generation, and power distribution, and other electromechanical components
- Perform in depth first principles analysis and FEA to assess and optimize designs
- Drive conceptual design, design criteria definition and component level trades
- Hold design reviews internally, participate in reviews with suppliers and customers
- Drive technology improvements; work with engineers and teams across the company to ensure success of components. Innovate
Designs, manufactures, & launches rockets and spacecrafts
SpaceX's mission is to make humanity multiplanetary. The company is working on a next generation of fully reusable launch vehicles that will be the most powerful ever built, capable of carrying humans to Mars and other destinations in the solar system.
- Benefits and Perks - Our employees’ well-being is important to us and essential to our capacity to do extraordinary things. We offer a wide variety of programs to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families.
Company Core Values
- Make History - SpaceX has gained worldwide attention for a series of historic milestones. It is the only private company capable of returning a spacecraft from low-Earth orbit, and in 2012 our Dragon spacecraft became the first commercial spacecraft to deliver cargo to and from the International Space Station. And in 2020, SpaceX became the first private company to take humans there as well.
- Reusability - SpaceX believes a fully and rapidly reusable rocket is the pivotal breakthrough needed to substantially reduce the cost of space access. The majority of the launch cost comes from building the rocket, which historically has flown only once.
- Landing - SpaceX’s family of Falcon launch vehicles are the first and only orbital class rockets capable of reflight. Depending on the performance required for the mission, Falcon lands on one of our autonomous spaceport droneships out on the ocean or one of our landing zones near our launch pads.