Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is looking for an individual with advanced plant design skills to ultimately transition to lead the team responsible for developing the 3D model design and drawing production that will enable construction of a cutting-edge fusion energy plant designated as SPARC. This individual will start out in a Sr. Designer capacity on a contract basis and after gaining sufficient understanding of the project and the team, and after demonstrated performance will transition to lead the design team as a direct CFS employee for the balance of the project. The plant is currently in construction on a fast-track basis and the successful candidate will support design of the process systems based upon schematics prepared by CFS engineering. When the SPARC project is operational as planned in mid-2025, the Plant Design Lead will support the turnover of the 3D model and associated engineering database for use as an operational tool. Additionally, the 3D model of SPARC will be used as a seed file for the design of a commercial version of the plant designated as ARC. At a point in time when the design of SPARC is sufficiently mature, the Sr. Plant Designer will transition to support or lead; depending on demonstrated capability, the 3D design activities associated with ARC, planned to be the first electric power producing fusion plant in the world.
This team member will:
- Support the activities of a plant design team in the development of 3D model content and creation of the drawings and documents that will enable construction of SPARC;
- Have responsibility for assigned elements of the plant layout;
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team of engineers to finalize the elements of plant design necessary to support construction activities, including Issued for Bid and Issued for Construction work packages;
- Support development of process and construction standards and best practices
- Facilitate the interface between the engineering team and the engineering database associated with the 3D model
- Support 2D CAD development of P&IDs;
- Issue typical drawings such as General Arrangements, Isometrics, Equipment Locations, P&IDs, Electrical plans and one-lines;
- Support configuration control of the 3D model design;
- Maintain interfaces between plant systems and subsystems
- Support continuity of the 3D model design and the associated information database as the plant transitions from design and construction to operations, maintenance and subsequent design initiatives.
- Create design content within the AVEVA 3D CAD model platform
- Support coordination of activities associated with the 3D CAD design team
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Preferably a bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of the AVEVA E3D platform strongly preferred
- Led multi-disciplined teams in the design of complex highly engineered process plant systems
- Proficient in 3D CAD modeling
- A minimum of 15 years of experience leading 3D CAD design teams
- Experience converting 3D model design content to documents used for construction
- Design skill in multiple disciplines
- Working knowledge of the AVEVA E3D platform
- Working knowledge AVEVA database creation and management (Dabacon/SQL) including Intelligent P&IDs, Engineering, Instrumentation, Electrical Modules
- Basic understanding of AVEVA Administration/Integration including CAT/SPECS
- Working knowledge of piping design codes including but not limited to B31.1/3/9
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience working under a QA program
- An exceptional safety record and attention to detail
- Familiarity in applying normal industry standards to design solutions
- The ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- A value for elegance and simplicity over complexity
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, startup R&D environment
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, and noise.
- Willingness to work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.