Research Scientist Internship/Co-Op
Posted on 9/27/2022
San Bruno, CA, USA
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, PhD or other graduate degree in Science (such as Geochemistry, Materials Science, Geological and Earth Sciences, Chemistry, or related field) or Engineering (such as Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Materials Engineering, or a related field)
- Knowledge of and/or interest in direct air capture
- Self-motivated and willing to learn and adapt in a fast-paced organization
- You don't have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world's motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We're engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won't be easy, but we won't quit
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We're well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we're building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem
- Geochemical research and materials characterization
- Executing laboratory testing according to standard procedures
- Designing experiments to test key process parameter(s)
- Operating, calibrating, maintenance, and performance checks for laboratory equipment
- Analyzing quantitative data and modeling chemical reactions
- Documenting findings and communicating results
- Collaborate with research investigators for testing
- Identify and suggest improvements in methods and procedures
- Work as a part of a team of world-class scientists and engineers to execute on our development plans, with an urgency rooted in the importance of our mission
Carbon dioxide air capture system
Naturally occurring minerals - alongside forests, soils, and the ocean - are one of our planet's most vital carbon sinks. Over geological timescales, carbon dioxide in the air and water chemically bind to these minerals and permanently turn to stone. Heirloom's technology enhances this natural process, called carbon mineralization, to help minerals absorb CO2 from the ambient air in days, rather than years. By combining the best of engineering and nature, they can offer the most cost-effective and scalable Direct Air Capture solution in the world.
- Covered health, dental and vision
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Company Core Values
- Radical Honesty
- Persistent Optimism
- Maximize Learning Rate