Full Stack Engineer 5
Updated on 2/6/2024
Subscription streaming entertainment service
Netflix's mission is to entertain the world. The company operates a streaming platform for movies & TV shows and has over 222 million subscribers globally.
Los Gatos, California
Growth & Insights
6 month growth↑ 0%
1 year growth↑ 2%
2 year growth↑ 1%
Los Gatos, CA, USA
- Experienced building and maintaining medium to large single-page applications
- Experience with TypeScript, React, Node.js, CSS, etc.
- Exposure to data science workflows, data engineering, backend development in Python, API development, or data visualization
- Passionate about building high-impact, performant user experiences for platform tools with a highly technical user base
- Independent, proactive, and able to deliver high-quality code that solves ambiguous user needs with minimal guidance
- Building great internal products for the design and analysis of experiments
- Enabling a broad suite of users to safely navigate a complex product
- Working on a broad and evolving tech stack to build software systems for processing large data sets, performing statistical analysis, and representing results in human consumable formats
- Contributing to additional aspects of the stack beyond frontend engineering
- Experience with data science workflows, data engineering, backend development in Python, API development, or data visualization
- Experience with interdisciplinary collaboration models
Netflix is one of the world’s leading streaming entertainment services, with over 260 million members in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, feature films, and mobile games across various genres and languages. Members can play, pause, and resume watching as they want, anytime, anywhere, and change their plans anytime.
A culture of experimentation and data-informed decision-making allows Netflix to continuously evolve and improve all aspects of the product, delivering more joy to existing members and attracting new members from around the globe. The nerve center of experimentation at Netflix is our internal Experimentation Platform, which provides flexible solutions for designing, launching, and analyzing experiments and archiving results – all at a massive scale.
We are looking to add a broadly experienced, frontend-focused senior software engineer to our team to continue to help us build great internal products for the design and analysis of experiments.
Front-end engineering on this team has some unique aspects. As described here, one of our core product strategies is to cede control of the visual representation of many experiment results to data scientists and engineers who build bespoke reports that are executed and rendered by our systems. But we also support less code-and-stats savvy users, from designers to product managers to executives. How do we enable such a broad suite of users to safely navigate a complex product that is a mix of infrastructure built by our team and reports contributed by power users? How do we deliver and distinguish between UI experiences targeted at decision-making (which need strict statistical controls) and those geared at exploration (which require low latency)? Where do we cede control to users, and where do we need to remain opinionated?
- Experienced building and maintaining medium to large single-page applications. We currently work with TypeScript, React, Node.js, CSS, etc., but adapting to changing technology is an important strength.
- Experienced with or have been exposed to some combination of data science workflows, data engineering, backend development in Python, API development, or data visualization.
- A self-motivated engineer who thrives on direct and regular contact with our users and believes that fast user feedback and iteration results in better products.
- Passionate about building high-impact, performant user experiences for platform tools with a highly technical user base, with a knack for simplifying user flows through complex systems.
- Independent, proactive, and able to deliver high-quality code that solves ambiguous user needs with minimal guidance. You unblock yourself as needed.
- Self-motivated and enjoy a variety of interdisciplinary collaboration models – from leading projects to jumping in at the last minute to get a project over the line. Our experimentation platform team brings together front and back end engineering, data science, design, and product management, and we aim to be much more than the sum of these parts.
Netflix offers amazing colleagues and a rapid pace of innovation. We embrace diversity and inclusion, and we are always on the lookout for stunning colleagues who bring new perspectives. Our unique culture emphasizes Freedom & Responsibility and permeates our way of work - hopefully, it resonates with you as much as it does with us.
More about experimentation at Netflix
Curious to learn more? Read up on experimentation culture at Netflix.
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $170,000 - $720,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.