Head of Data
Confirmed live in the last 24 hours
San Francisco, CA, USA • Remote • New York, NY, USA • Denver, CO, USA
- 10+ years of experience leading Data organizations, preferably at companies serving small businesses and/or consumers
- A passionate advocate, evangelist and communicator for how to use data across an organization who can both educate and be responsive to your leadership counterparts
- A nuanced understanding of both the power and limits of how data can inform different types of product and business decisions
- Experience scaling Data organization through private and public phases of a company journey
- An excellent communicator at multiple altitudes. You should be able to talk technically with engineers and data analysts, but also be adept at storytelling and decision making through insights, and not lose the executive team/other collaborators in the details of numbers and stats
- A servant leader: You mentor, coach and grow your leads, open doors for anyone on your team or in the organization, and also identify talent gaps and fill them
- Experience leading matrixed teams in addition to a centralized organization is ideal. For example, our Data Science team is centrally reporting but embedded within our business segments
- Define and own Gusto's data strategy, aligning our data roadmap and talent strategy with the company's strategic plans
- Recruit, hire and retain a representative team of data scientists, analysts, data engineers and data leaders
- Partner with business leaders and GMs to ensure that they and their teams have the tools, reporting and support to consistently make the best data-informed decisions. Proactively provide advanced analytics and insights to leaders that they may not be seeing
- Provide technical guidance to our Data Engineering and BI leaders and their teams to build a world-class data infrastructure and platform
- Improve our credit/risk/fraud models, and analytics, forecasting and reporting capabilities
- Build data products that can help our 200,000+ small businesses make data-informed decisions
- Partner with our People, Legal, Compliance and Privacy teams to ensure that we are enforcing best practices and compliant standards for data privacy and security
Cloud-based payroll, benefits, and human resource management solution
Gusto's mission is to help companies put people first. The company operates an online payroll, health benefits, and workers' compensation platform.
- It’s a marathon, not a sprint: Employees celebrating 5 or 10 years at Gusto enjoy a month-long sabbatical to travel and relax after all their hard work.
- Meals and conversations: Free meals, snacks, and drinks to keep us fueled, but more importantly: they bring people together and foster community.
- Wellness for every body: We’re proud to offer inclusive health care such as hormone treatments, gender-affirming surgery, therapy, family planning, and more.
- The time you need: Our flexible PTO policy means every employee is encouraged to take the time they need now to keep doing great work, long term.
- Family-friendly benefits: Fertility treatments, primary and secondary parental leave, sleep coaching, house cleaning for new parents, and more.
- Be well, be you: Get free, comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, plus a monthly fitness stipend and mental health resources too.
- Embody a service mindset: Never stop advocating for the needs of others.
- Dream big, then make it real: Be ambitious. Show and do is greater than tell and talk.
- Be proud of the how: Ensure deep integrity in everything you do.
- Embrace an ownership mentality: Take initiative to leave things better than you found them.
- Debate then commit: Share openly, question respectfully, and once a decision is made, commit fully.
- Build with humility: Put collective success before individual achievements.