San Francisco, California
6 month growth↑ 0%
1 year growth↓ -6%
2 year growth↑ 26%
- 8+ years as a design leader working on enterprise SaaS platforms
- 5+ years of experience as a people manager
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Influential leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Partner with leadership teams across Product, Engineering, Design, and Strategy to build and refine strategy, organization, product roadmaps, and approach to execution
- Work closely with customers to understand product usage and improve productivity
- Enable designers to deliver meaningful solutions
- Grow the next generation of design leadership within the team
- Contribute to developing a culture of design as a key differentiator
- Experience in building and managing world-class enterprise SaaS Design teams
- Experience in distilling clarity and focus from ambiguity and complexity
- Growth mindset and openness to change and feedback
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
As the Design Leader for the Data and Applications pillar, you will be responsible for guiding a skilled and dynamic team of designers in redefining how scientists do their work. The primary objective of this team is to innovate scientific workflows, enhancing efficiency, quality and speed in their endeavors—ultimately helping to drive the biotech revolution.
You will collaborate with fellow leaders in Product and Engineering to gain insights into customer needs, shape our product strategy, facilitate seamless execution and maximize the value of our solutions. Additionally you will be instrumental in providing clarity and fostering growth within your design team.
An ideal person for this team will be able to balance customer needs and priorities with the goals of our R&D team to deliver highly consistent, delightful user experiences at scale.
- Partner with leadership teams across Product, Engineering, Design, and Strategy to build and refine our strategy, organization, product roadmaps, and approach to execution
- Work closely with our customers to understand how they’re using our product, and what we can do to make them more productive
- Enable your designers to deliver meaningful solutions, helping them work through uncertainty and obstacles
- Grow the next generation of design leadership within your team
- Contribute to developing a culture of design in a company that recognizes user experience as a key differentiator
- We support a flexible hybrid environment that balances in-person collaboration and remote work
- You’ve successfully built and managed world-class enterprise SaaS Design teams to build complex platform products that serve complex customers.
- You have 8+ years as a design leader working on enterprise SaaS platforms with at least 5+ years of experience as a people manager.
- You thrive in the challenge of distilling clarity and focus from ambiguity and complexity, and are a strong problem solver that can gather, prioritize, and drive execution on customer and business requirements
- You possess influential leadership and interpersonal skills that enable you to build strong relationships with customers, your direct team, company peers, and company leadership.
- You have a growth mindset that allows you to change your mind and readily admit mistakes. You ask for and give direct feedback.
- You are excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and verbal form, both for internal and external communication.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $175,680 - $263,520.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Broad range of medical, dental, and vision plans for employees and their dependents
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits for in-office employees and a generous home office set up stipend for remote employees
- Mental health benefits, including therapy and coaching, for employees and their dependents
- Monthly Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries