We are expanding our team! You can live anywhere in the U.S. and Canada, or from another country if specified in the job posting.
Temporal is growing, and we welcome great people to enable our growth. We are looking for those who share our values, challenge ’standard’ thinking and want to influence our future. If you want to be part of an amazing team, have a passion for open-source software, and a desire to build strong developer communities, then come join us!
Temporal helps developers focus on the important things, like writing business logic, and spend less time worrying about the underlying infrastructure. We have a great open-source community filled with awesome developers (who are also our users!) providing us with real-time feedback and contributions. Temporal is backed by top VC firms, with a well built team of professionals from various successful start-ups and well-known technology companies. We always work toward building the best community, and if these things interest you too, we’d love to hear from you.
Temporal’s Open Source Server (OSS) team is responsible for developing all of Temporal’s server-side features to support Temporal as the Durable Execution Platform. As Temporal becomes the foundation of more mission-critical systems, ensuring high reliability is our top priority. The projects from the Open Source Server (OSS) team range from developer-facing features to non-user-facing backend systems.
As a Senior Engineer, you will get the chance to design, build, and maintain significant portions of our backend functionality for highly scalable, multi-tenant services. Examples of the key distributed systems components you’ll own include Quotas, Throttling, Visibility, Task Processing, Matching etc. Working in a highly collaborative team, we’ll look to build a new enterprise offering that will involve both on-premise and dedicated cloud offerings.
What You’ll Do
- Design and implement core backend service features.
- Provide appropriate test coverage for unit, integration, and performance for your feature ownership area.
- Clearly document design choices and operational knowledge to successfully deploy and run service with those features.
- Provide appropriate service level logs and metrics to make features operational for cloud service setup.
- Provide appropriate alerts, dashboards, and runbooks for production.
What You’ll Need
- 5 or more years of experience working with highly scalable distributed systems.
- Solid computer science fundamentals in distributed systems concepts including multi-threading and concurrency.
- Experience with Go or Java or other applicable languages.
- Experience working with Open Source Systems.
- Experience building systems with technologies like Kafka, Cassandra, MySQL, Elasticsearch.
- Experience building and running services on AWS. Bonus: Microsoft Azure and Google GCP experience.
- The estimated pay range for this role is $175,000 - $225,000.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Temporal’s equity plan.
- Unlimited PTO, 12 Holidays & 2 Floating Holidays
- 100% Premiums Coverage for Medical, Dental / Ortho, and Vision Benefits
- AD&D, LT & ST Disability, and Life Insurance (Standard & Supplemental Available)
- 401K Plan
- Up to 20 weeks of parental leave for birth parents and 12 weeks of leave for non-birth parents, including adoptive and foster parents
- $1,500 / Year Career Development & Learning Stipend
- $1,200 / Year Lifestyle Spending Account
- $1,000 / Year In-Home Office Setup (In addition to Temporal issued equipment - laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, trackpad, and extension power cable at no cost to you)
- $500 / Year Professional Memberships
- $300 / Month Work From Home Meals
- $74 / Month Reimbursement for Internet
- Calm App Subscription for Mental Health & Wellness
- An "All Access" pass to a WeWork location
What Team Members are Doing at Temporal
Collaborating across teams to improve the developer experience, deliver world-class open-source software, engage with and support our user community, and enhance our commercial SaaS platform.
Temporal Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Temporal Technologies does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We embrace and celebrate differences and diversity.
We are not working with external recruitment agencies, thanks.